What is the Maximum Number of Team Calendars That Can Be Added To One Calendar on a Confluence Page?

Michael Marrewa June 7, 2012

I'd like each person in our company to have their own personal calendar where they can store their time off and other personal events. I then want to be able to have different project teams and direct line management groups to be able to add these people to their team or line calendar. This would help each person to not have to update mulitple calendars with their time off events.

My only hesitation is I need to know how many calendars can be layered in a single Confluence page. I'm thinking that there'd only be like 40 max for our biggest direct line management group.

Also, can Team Calendars handle 400+ calendars?

Thanks!

- Mike

7 answers

1 vote
Deleted user August 20, 2012

I don't mean to hijack this thread but we're running into an issue where we're getting the "Some events were not shown in the calendars below because there were too many of them" message. What exactly consitutes a "view"? We have a general Engineering calendar (a People calendar) that's used for things such as working from home, out of the office, etc. While the calendar as a whole has over 200 events, the view that I'm using, week, only has about 20 events but I still get the message. Is a "view" considered to be the entire calendar? Also, which events are not being shown? The ones that are furthest out? The ones that already happened? Thanks!

1 vote
Matthew Erickson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2012

Hi sd_mikey,

Let me see if I understand what you are trying to do. Each user has a personal calendar with their time-off etc on it. Then you would have a page with a calendar macro for each line-manager. The calendar macro would have the personal calendar for each user in that group on it. Is that right?

From my testing the client side Javascript can take a long time to process if there are a lot of calendars in one macro, however if these are all fairly simple calendars with only a few events per week I think you should be okay.

400+ calendars will probably work as long as they are not all added to a single macro or anyones MyCalendars view.

On a slightly differnet note it sounds like you would like the ability to create calendars that are collections of smaller calendars?

Cheers,
Matt

Michael Marrewa June 7, 2012

Hi Matt,

You are correct in your understanding. I'm really looking for a way to aggregate smaller calendars into a larger calendar so managers (whether they be PMs or Line Managers) have a single pane of glass to view people's time.

Currently, I have to update 8 different calendars with my time off because I cross so many different groups.

Another similar use case, is overlaying different country holidays onto your project calendar. We have 10 different country holidays we need to keep track of in our calendars. On some projects, we may only have team members from 2 countries so we don't need every countries holidays. It would be nice to have each countries holidays as separate calendars and then group only the relevant ones.

We have implemented the holiday calendars as I described, but I'm fearful of performance issues with individual user calendars.

Thanks for the answer!

- Mike

0 votes
Congruence
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 1, 2013

From https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/'Some+events+were+not+shown+in+the+calendars+below+because+there+were+too+many+of+them'+error+in+Team+Calendar :

By default, it's 200 events per calendar. Note that this limit applies to all events in one calendar, and not just the events that are displayed on screen.

It may have something to do with the calendar being stored as a single file in the bandana table instead of in its own database table.

So no real solution here, options being:

* manually delete past events which is time consuming,

* delete and recreate the calendar but you lose all of the history and all of the calendar subscribers,

* don't use team calendars when there are lots of events.

0 votes
hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

By default, it's 200 events per calendar in each view. If there were too many of them, this message will appear: "Some events were not shown in the calendars below because there were too many of them"

To eliminate the message, you can change to a different maximum by specifying the system property and then restart Confluence: "com.atlassian.confluence.extra.calendar3.display.events.calendar.maxpercalendar"

I would only recommend changing the value if absolutely necessary - and even if you change it, find the smallest workable value possible.
0 votes
Michael Marrewa August 7, 2012

@JodieM, No, I never tackled it for fear of breaking things. I plan to test it on our staging instance when I get some time. I'll update this post when I do.

0 votes
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

@sd_mikey did you ever get this whole leave with team calendars thing working for your organisation, or did you find that there were just too many limitations with Team Calendars?

0 votes
Jodie Miners
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2012

@sd_mikey did you ever get this whole leave with team calendars thing working for your organisation, or did you find that there were just too many limitations with Team Calendars?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events