We prefer original search option (prior 6.14) over the huge search panel, is there a way to revert?

ShelleyDee May 2, 2019

Our users preferred the older search function prior to 6.14 (https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-6-14-release-notes-963655609.html). Is there a way to revert?

If we want to use the more advanced search, we searched then pressed Enter. The quick search looked neater, cleaner and was quicker. The advanced search option was already available elsewhere. Now we are forced to use the Advanced Search all of the time

Our users don't like how the new search panel takes over the whole page either. Worst case can it be resized?

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2019

Hello there Shelley! Thanks for continuously share your questions here. I believe that I just answered another question from you,

Nonetheless, let me move forward here. So, currently we can deactivate the quick search. By doing this, every search will automatically switch to the advanced search:

• The search panel will no longer appear when users click the search field. When you enter a search query, we'll take you to the advanced search page.
  • The Confluence QuickNav Gadget will no longer drop down a list of search results. When you enter a search query, we'll take you to the advanced search page.

You can check our documentation on this here:

Configuring Search - Confluence Server

Even though the new Search Panel occupies a third of the screen, we can still click outside of it to get back into the page we were previously using.

The new experience focus on ease of use by making things easier to find in Confluence. This includes visual and tooling changes, such as easy to reach filters. This is shared in the release notes for Connie 6.14.x and also on this post from when our teams were gathering feedback for this new approach:

Try the new Confluence Server Search on your site

Shelley, please let us know about your thoughts. Looking forward to your reply.

ShelleyDee May 6, 2019

Hi, thanks for the answer. I don't want to disable the quick search, I want the quick search to actually be a quick search, not the advanced search. Many users complain about this to me daily. The Filter by, and Advanced Search should be links next to Search Tips, and you should be able to resize this panel so it's not so big. From a UI pov, it's not working for us.

Like # people like this
aprilengland December 4, 2019

Our company uses Confluence as a intranet with help from Brikit and Linchpin Profiles. We have been working really hard to keep the look and feel of the site exactly the same because we don't want to have to explain changes to 3500+ people. This is a huge change and we do not like it. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events