Using regular expression in confluence title search

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2011

Is it possible to use regular expressions in title search in the search macro?

I tried the following

{search:title:SomeTitle*|maxLimit=10|spacekey=TEST}

But no results. Expected to see pages with title SomeTitleOne, SomeTitleTwo etc!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2011

Ah, ok, I tried all sorts of combinations and this is the closest I got with a search with 2 pages:

SomeTitleOne

SomeTitleTwo

{search:title:sometitle?*}

returns both pages.

So it looks like you can do a regex of sorts, just not have * as the first wildcard.

Not sure if that would work for you?

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2011

Awesome! Interesting observation:

{search:title:SomeTitle?*}

didn't work but the following did! I don't mind though ;)

0 votes
Tom Towkach December 2, 2013

Unless your site contains Japanese characters, then a search on title without "" around it finds both regarless. Not sure about any other language, but I just verified that in japanese. I guess the developers didnt' talk to each other?

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2011

Try:

{search:title:sometitle\*|maxLimit=10|spacekey=TEST}

i.e. escape the * with a \

As Confluence uses Lucene it treats the * as a literal when searching on fields unless you escape it.

I tried this on the Demonstration Space on my install and :

{search:title:tutorial*}

returned zero results, but:

{search:title:tutorial\*}

returned 2 results as expected.

Hope that helps,

Andrew.

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2011

When I searched for:

{search:title:tutorial\*}

I got:

"Tutorial"

"Tutorial (all on one page)"

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2011

Doesn't work for me. What are the titles of the results you got?

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2011

I see. Here 'Tutorial' is a single word. If you have a page with TutorialInASingleWord as title, it won't be in the search results. That is exactly the problem for me!

For me, I am getting titles with sometitle in it but not titles with sometitleone.

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2011

Awesome! Interesting observation:

{search:title:SomeTitle?*}

didn't work but the following did! I don't mind though ;)

0 votes
Lionel Hutz
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2011

I know regular expressions don't work when doing a regular confluence search on metadata (use the default search box and search for "title:SomeTitle*"). It could be that this carries over to the search macro.

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2011

That's what I thought too. Just wanted to confirm. Also wanted to see if there are any plugins that supports this!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events