Using Status or Labels

Jeffrey Landers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 9, 2015

Hi All, I am evaluating Confluence now for its capabilities with use in invoicing.  I am a former software consultant and now work as a business analyst at a large corporation.  I am trying to help the invoicing department alleviate themselves of the massive emails that are used to record invoices as they come in and where they are at in the invoicing process.  This is essentially recording dates and status.  I have created a space where outside vendors can drag and drop invoices onto a page and that works really well.  The internal employee can open them up, and make edits etc., if needed which is normal practice.  upon picking up an invoice, I have looked at changing a status, or changing labels but have not had great luck.  When an internal employee picks up an invoice the first time, and then works on it, the status or label, must go from blank or new, to a label of coding, which is the first part of the invoicing process.  I have another page dedicated to aging reports based on where invoices are in the process.  This additional page pulls the invoices that the contractor drops onto the page and then displays the labels nicely in a column for the contractor to see where their invoice is in the process.  The problem is that when an invoice goes from blank or new, it needs to drop off the file list page because it only cause confusion for the contractor and internal agent.  The invoicing page should only contain new invoices, which could be labeled new or left blank of labels to indicate they are new.  I have not figured out a way to do this.  I have also looked at using status, but I need to use status with the attachments.  I have looked at the attachments table macro and attachments and have not found a way to add an additional column to the table displayed for status.  Additionally, status should be able to be changed on the main page, much like labels, without having to edit the page to change status.  This adds an additional ;layer that I really would like users not to have to be able to do.  I agree that most things should be edited on the page using the edit function, but status and label are fluid items that change regularly and these should be made on the fly in the main page without editing.  Is there a way to do this, and also is there a way to do anything with labels so that a user can pick from a predefined list, or allow a label to move an invoice off a page based on label selection? 

2 answers

1 vote
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2015

Wouldn't this be a better idea to use JIRA to track these?

Workflows are a natural part of JIRA, while you will need to do every sort of tricks to mimic a similar behaviour in Confluence.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2015

I agree with Ferenc. You're better off using JIRA's for actual workflows

image2015-6-10 22:10:2.png

Unless you'd like to invest in workflow add-ons for Confluence, I know there's a few great options for Workflows in Confluence. Comalatech has a really nice add-on. I'm more familar with using JIRA for this functionality though.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.comalatech.workflow

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events