Using EXE or ZIP file to Install

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2012

Hello,

I was told by previous MIS installed that when you use the *.exe to install Confluence it causes problems on the server with ownership rights as opposed to using *.ZIP file. Does anyone know if the issue was fixed with the EXE install? The problem is that the .EXE file ASSUMES that this is the only WEB application on the server. Any way around it? Jira & Confluence on same server

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2012

Hi Ken.

Please have a look at this article: Installing Confluence and JIRA Together. What do you mean when you say:

The problem is that the .EXE file ASSUMES that this is the only WEB application on the server.

Are you having problems with the ports? You can modify the connection ports in the file <INSTALLATION_DIR>/conf/server.xml

If you want to access both application in the same port, you will need to start them in different ports and use a proxy listening in the common port. You can find more details of this configuration in my previous link.

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2012

Our issue was due to the other software we run on the server plus mutilple Confluence. I need to get an answer from our MIS as to why there seems to be ownership issues with the web. I will probably have the same isssue with manual JIRA install. Is it safe to use the same config files 4.2.3 to Jira 5.2?

Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2012

Personally, I would reapply the settings to the new config file, just in case some new parameters were added, but I do not see why it should not work (for the server.xml).

0 votes
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2012

Hi KenP11,

I'm not sure why it's happening this problem with .exe, but you can install the standalone version which is the .zip file. To install the standalone version is pretty easy, we just have to follow a few steps:

1. Go to atlassian.com and download Confluence (the standalone version)
  2. Extract the zip/tar.gz file of the latest version of Confluence on the place you choose. ( I highly suggest that you create a folder call: Confluence , and inside of this folder extract the install folder, and inside of the Confluence folder create a folder call: Home ).
  3. Into the extracted folder, open the file confluence-init.properties, which is located at Confluence install directory\confluence\web-inf\classes and edit the line: confluence.home=/usr/local/confluence/home to point to the path where is your new home folder of your Confluence.
  4. Now start Confluence.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

WZ

0 votes
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2012

I believe you might check the file permission for Confluence Home folder and ensure the file ownership belongs to the user account who runs Tomcat.

0 votes
KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2012

The problem is that the .EXE file ASSUMES that this is the only WEB application on the server. Any way around it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events