Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

User in group can not access space despite being a member of a group with permissions

I had a new employee start. We have a group called "employees" and I added this user to the employees group. When the user logged in, they cannot access the "Employee Resources" space even though the user is in the employees group, and the employees group does have access.

Adding this employee as an individual in the Space Permissions page allows them to see the page. However, we also have certain pages that have restricted access, and explicitly grant access to employees.

Other users are set up in the identical way, and work just fine. This seems to be some type of glitch in setting user permissions based on group membership.

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder Community Leader Apr 10, 2022

@Joe Conaty Welcome to the Atlassian community

Have you tried using the permission inspector yet?  https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/inspect-a-users-permissions/

Is the user showing in the group in Confluence?

@Brant Schroeder thank you!

Looks like permission inspector requires premium membership. That is not an option at the moment.

Yes, the user is showing up in the group in Confluence. All other users in that same group (and users in identical groups to the problem user) have no issues with permissions in this space.

Brant Schroeder Community Leader Apr 11, 2022

@Joe Conaty If you add them to a different group that has access will this user get access to the space?   

Brant Schroeder Community Leader Apr 14, 2022

@Joe Conaty Are you still having an issue with them accessing the space with that group?

I like the idea of adding this person to a different group to see if the access will work. I will investigate. Thank you for following up.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence: Where work and wellness meet

Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of work and life? With a 25% increase in the prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide during the pandemic, for most of us, it’s a resounding yes . 🙋‍♀️ ...

1,042 views 18 28
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you