User in group can not access space despite being a member of a group with permissions

Joe Conaty April 5, 2022

I had a new employee start. We have a group called "employees" and I added this user to the employees group. When the user logged in, they cannot access the "Employee Resources" space even though the user is in the employees group, and the employees group does have access.

Adding this employee as an individual in the Space Permissions page allows them to see the page. However, we also have certain pages that have restricted access, and explicitly grant access to employees.

Other users are set up in the identical way, and work just fine. This seems to be some type of glitch in setting user permissions based on group membership.

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2022

@Joe Conaty Welcome to the Atlassian community

Have you tried using the permission inspector yet?  https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/inspect-a-users-permissions/

Is the user showing in the group in Confluence?

Joe Conaty April 10, 2022

@Brant Schroeder thank you!

Looks like permission inspector requires premium membership. That is not an option at the moment.

Yes, the user is showing up in the group in Confluence. All other users in that same group (and users in identical groups to the problem user) have no issues with permissions in this space.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2022

@Joe Conaty If you add them to a different group that has access will this user get access to the space?   

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2022

@Joe Conaty Are you still having an issue with them accessing the space with that group?

Joe Conaty April 18, 2022

I like the idea of adding this person to a different group to see if the access will work. I will investigate. Thank you for following up.

Holger Bracker October 27, 2022

Quick question regarding this issue:

is the user a direct member or nested member in the user group?

It seems to me that depending on the depth of nested members/groups confluence is struggling if there are nested groups in a user group. Anyone who can confirm this?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2022

You are correct nested members are not synced by Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events