Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Create Sub-Tasks in Jira API

JD Lobue November 6, 2020

I am using teams' Jira app plugin to pull in Jira work for a team and I'm not seeing the ability to create sub-tasks. Can this be done? Is there something I need to change in my jira configuration? Thanks.

Jira API message:

Some issue types are unavailable due to incompatible field configuration and/or workflow associations.

JiraTeams.png

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2020

Yes, it's telling you exactly what the pronlem is.  This project is not configured to allow you to create sub-tasks.  Your admins can change that.

JD Lobue November 6, 2020

Thanks, Nic. I am an admin, yet do not know how to do this. Can you help? Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2020

It's not that obvious (there's a lot in Jira, we can't be expected to know where everything is - I've been with it getting on for 2 decades and still can't find half the admin stuff without having to think or search).

Go to the project, and look at its settings.

For Classic projects, head for the "issue type scheme" to add sub-tasks (check how many projects you may affect in the header though)

For Next-Gen projects, head for just "issue types" and check the bottom of the list of current ones, there should be "add sub-task" in there.

JD Lobue November 7, 2020

I have Sub-Tasks added as an issue type in the scheme, and they are still not exposed in the API for create issue. Is there something else I need to do?SubstaskInScheme.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2020

What is the error message you are getting from the attempt to create a sub-task?  And how are you doing it?

JD Lobue November 7, 2020

It simply is not a part of the dropdown as depicted in the Jira API posted above. No error message. Are sub-tasks just not exposed? Can this be added?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events