Stop links opening in a new tab

Eric Sara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2021

I have just started to use Confluence Cloud as a client-facing space and have created a menu structure that is graphical. So the user clicks on one image and this taken them to a 2nd screen and then click on an image on this screen and it takes them to the information about that topic. 

What I don't like about this is that each time the user clicks on an image a new tab opens. Before long is easy to have several tabs open within one browser session. 

I have done some searching on this but cannot see any controls to stop this. In fact, most are asking how do you get it to do exactly what is happening to me and have it so that a new tab is created. Why is mine already acting as others want.

Hoping there is some admin setting that I am missing. 

Thanks, 

1 answer

1 vote
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2021

Hi @Eric Sara 

are you using any kind of third party plugin or did you make a special configuration for the links? Asking cause it surprises as cloud would not support Hyperlink Force to open in a new tab -> see the closed CONFCLOUD-34088 ticket

As you said it's happening to you, do you mean it's only happening to you when you're using it? Maybe any settings on your computer/keyboard that may force this behaviour? Because opening in new tab can also be done by shortcut 

• CTRL+Left Click (Windows) or CMD+Left Click
  • (macOS) Right click > Open in a new tab
Matthew Buchanan April 15, 2021

I would also like to know how this was achieved. 

While a lot of users are promoting these shortcuts:

• CTRL+Left Click (Windows) or CMD+Left Click
  • (macOS) Right click > Open in a new tab

Those don't necessarily work in an environment where the majority of users accessing pages are on Android or Apple or iOS devices. I do realize there is an option to hold the link on the page, but that's not necessarily convenient either.

I am disappointed that CONFCLOUD-34088 was closed. Ironically, clicking the link for that ticket in this post does exactly what we are requesting (opens in a new tab). This is needed functionality for the Cloud version of Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events