Stop links from being created as bubbles in the new editor

Rory Apperson January 21, 2020

I don't know what else to call that, but when I create links in the new editor, often they appears in rectangular boxes (bubbles) with a little blue icon on the left, as shown below: 

2020-01-21_08-23-05.png

Then when I'm using the "Blog Posts" macro, they don't appear as bubbles but the full URLs, and I can't tell what the link goes to:

2020-01-21_08-22-50.png

I want them to be the link text which is inside the bubbles.  How do I disable the bubble behavior?

3 answers

1 vote
Tom Whitmore August 17, 2020

Bubble Links are a problem for me as well. They just seem a pointless anti-feature. They decrease readability, don't get rendered properly (many seconds FOUC) and make the whole experience worse.

• I have my own Wiki space. Where can I turn this off for the entire space?
  • Alternately, where can I turn the new editor off for the entire space?

I'm absolutely disappointed with Confluence Cloud, compared with on-prem Confluence 2 or 3 years ago. Atlassian had a pretty good product but now presumably under the influence of "Product Managers" it's just being pointlessly degraded.

HollyV
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 26, 2021

Product Manager, here. Can attest - this is a terrible, no-good, junk feature. Come on Atlassian - do better.

0 votes
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2020

Hi @Rory Apperson , 

Unfortunately, the behavior you're seeing is a default when you add a link URL in either the new editor in Confluence -- and also in Jira! 

@Mike Bowen mentions one workaround (type the text first, then use CTRL+K to add the URL to the text.  

Another workaround -- which is unfortunately not documented anywhere!-- After you paste in a link URL, right after you see the autoformat behavior, use CTRL+Z to undo the autoformat. Then you can click on the URL text, and you will have the option to type in the link text of your choosing. 

** this is a particularly important workaround for anyone who is linking to files on shared Google drives -- which are incompatible with the autoformat behavior, and throw this terrible error. Atlassian knows of the issue, but is not currently supporting shared (team) Google drives: 

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.22.02 AM.png

Hope this helps,

Sharon

Rory Apperson January 23, 2020

Well this is disappointing.  I'm not sure anyone wants bubble links, and as I showed in the post they don't appear in the blog posts macro -- the full URL does, which is not helpful.  Furthermore, having to type the text you want instead of the bubble every time is annoying.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

Hi @Rory Apperson 

Interesting question and I was wondering why I had a page where some links were bubble links and others were not. So I did a little investigation and I know why :-) 

1. The bubble links appear when one pastes a full URL onto a Next-Gen page (or a page using the new editor). 
  2. The standard links appear (without bubbles) if you select some text (click links icon or CTRL+K and paste in a URL.

bubble URL versus Standard Link.png

-Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events