Saving MS office files directly to Confluence page as attachments?

Jerry April 29, 2019

Hi All,

Not sure anybody else has the needs/knowledge but is attaching files the only way to upload files to a Confluence page?

I am using confluence page to store MS office files as attachments but every time when creating new files I have to save files locally before attaching them to Confluence.  Is there a way to skip saving files locally? thinking of save as and providing the location of the page but it's not working...

Any help is appreciated.

4 answers

0 votes
Ganga Bopaiah May 6, 2021

Any help on this? I am looking for a similar option.

Thanks

0 votes
Jerry April 29, 2019

Thanks guys for your quick answer.

Importing directly into a page is not an option as I was talking of Word files with fields and Excel files with VBA macros. 

I am able to upload the files from local machine to a page and then edit in Confluence, taking advantage of the version control.  The question was mainly on the first time after creating the files I have to save it to my local machine before attaching it to the confluence page.   I feel I would be great to save it directly to the confluence page as an attachment.  We can do so in MS SharePoint.

N
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 9, 2021

Hi Jerry,
Were you able to find this similar ability with Confluence? I currently have macros in excel to save in Sharepoint automatically and am building out a confluence page right now and want to do the same functionality.. Please let me know if you have and if you could share how to do it. 
Thanks. 

Jerry February 9, 2021

No I didn't get anything with Confluence.  From this aspect Sharepoint is better.  You'll have to use the workaround (maintaining a local or network copy) to update your Excel files. 

Jerry February 9, 2021

this link might be helpful to you Configuring a WebDAV client for Confluence | Confluence Data Center and Server 7.11 | Atlassian Documentation.  however it's not available for me (might be due to company's IT policy).

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2019

Hi @Jerry ,

I think the easiest way is to import Word directly into Confluence and store it through Page. First, Confluence can automatically save the version information of each change. Second, it is convenient for users to read and edit online. At last, when you need it. You can also export to Word format file again.

0 votes
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2019

Hey Jerry -

There are a couple of ways you can handle these files.

1. you can attach (or embed) to a page as you indicate.

2. you can create a file list page to store your files. This will offer versioning and the ability to edit/upload the document from the office application (i.e. Excel) see 2 screen shots below.

confl-1b.pngconfl-2.png

3. If it is a MS Word document, you can import the doc into an actual confluence page. Then it becomes a dynamic document that can be collaborated on right in Confluence.

confl-1.png

Hope that helps.

-Ed

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events