Running Confluence as a Service in Windows give 404 error

Daniel Piche
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 19, 2022

I have managed after many attempts to get Confluence 7.5.2 x64 running on my Windows 10 desktop. And it actually runs fine. But, I want it to run as a service, so that I don't need to be logged into the box.

And I resolved the various reasons that setting up a service would fail to even start, primarily updating the service.bat to have "Program~1" instead of "Program Files".

So I do "service.bat install Confluence" and I can start it, but when I visit the URL, I get a 404 error:

HTTP Status 404 – Not Found

Type Status Report

Message Not found

Description The origin server did not find a current representation for the target resource or is not willing to disclose that one exists.

Apache Tomcat/9.0.33

I've reviewed the logs and there is no logging even at DEBUG level.

Here are the service config values in the Java tab:

Java Virtual Machine:

C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

Java Classpath:

C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence\bin\tomcat-juli.jar

Java Options:

-Dcatalina.home=C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence
-XX:+UseG1GC
-XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions
-XX:-PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:-PrintTenuringDistribution
-XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation
-XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5
-XX:GCLogFileSize=2M
-Xloggc:C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence\logs\gc-%t.log
-Xlog:gc+age=debug:file="C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence\logs\gc-%t.log"::filecount=5,filesize=2M
-Djava.awt.headless=true
-Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300
-Djdk.tls.server.protocols=TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2
-Djdk.tls.client.protocols=TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2
-Djava.locale.providers=JRE,SPI,CLDR
-Dcatalina.base=C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence
-Dignore.endorsed.dirs=C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence\endorsed
-Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence\temp
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Progra~1\Atlassian\Confluence\conf\logging.properties

This issue does not happen when I run the startup_bundled_jre.bat file.

I spent almost the entire day yesterday and some this morning trying to make this work. Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks,

Dan

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2022

@Daniel Piche What is the URL you are visiting?  How is your base URL configured in the server.xml file?  

Did you double check everything against the following instructions? https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/installing-confluence-on-windows-255362047.html

Daniel Piche
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 19, 2022

@Brant Schroeder Thank you for the link. I was using another page with instructions of setting up a service. I created the confluence user. The service didn't start, so I figured permissions, and then made it a system admin, and that "worked".

Somehow it loaded with no data (which I had finally restored from my previous install - our box had to be reimaged...).  

Anyway, I restored the database again, and after several restarts, it works now with all my data.

Thank you again and have a happy day!

Dan

Like Brant Schroeder likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events