Remove Inherited Restrictions further down in the Page tree

Jakob Oftebro November 6, 2018

Hello,

I want to invite an external user to a Space for a project. I want to give him access to certain pages far down in the Page Tree and nothing else

The access is currently controlled by a restriction at the top of the page-tree. He is restricted here. Is there a way to override this restriction on specific pages further down in the page-tree, so that he can see those? What about for editing?

Any suggestion is appreciated, thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2018

No, if a person cannot see a page, they can't see any page below it either.

You'll need to move the page to somewhere with different restrictions.

6 votes
Patrick O_Connell March 22, 2019

Reiterating the limitations of Confluence, and suggesting working around it, isn't really a solution in my view.

My situation is that I've been brought in as the first-ever technical writer who's actually had that title and job description. I've been building documentation for a tool with lots going on, basically from the ground up.

This means that there are a lot of what I call stub pages: They're there, but there's no content, yet. These help to remind me of my overall plan, and all that remains to be done.

What's driving me nuts right now is the inheritance that can't be overriden. Previously, "Everyone" could see what's planned, not just what's done. Now. at the suggestion of my manager, I'm restricting access to the stubs to me, him and our facilitator.

Soon, then Everyone won't see stub pages. We're presenting to people that matter next week, I can log in as me for that, we can live with this.

BUT...at some point, for some reason I fleshed out a page that's in with a bunch of its still-stub brethren. I'm proud of the work I've done on it, but can I have this one page visible to Everyone? Of course not.

Moving the page somewhere else is not an answer. A good tool lets users work the way they need to, instead of forcing them to change the way they work, to adapt to the tool.

Pat O'Connell
MindGeek Montreal

Deleted user May 14, 2020

In other words, it's still the same amateurish wiki tool it was 8 years ago without a robust permissions schema. The capability you ask for is available in other tools (SharePoint, WordPress) and has been for awhile. I've yet to understand how a tool widely promoted as heavy-duty collaboration tool is so light on management capability.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events