Problem with search result ordering

Thomas Rainer September 4, 2018

Hi Community,

we are using confluence as our central knowledgebase. From time to time I noticed that the order of the search results where not that what we expected in terms of prioritizing more important articles. As an example (in german) I can show you what I mean.

When I start a search from our startpage where we placed a "livesearch" makro, I get the following suggestions for the result:
2018-09-04 13_44_35-Clipboard.png

In my opinion the search algorithm has some issues, since the first and the second result are "bad" pages that simply contains a link and nothing else. But my expected result, the third, would contain a lot of text where also the search keywords are used multiple times. Even the kewords itself are not an exact match on the first two results.

That someone understand that algorithm?
Is there a way to push some articles up. It also seems that if an article has more likes, that does not affect the search result position.

A Knowledge Base without a reliable search is only worth 50%.

Btw. When I click on "more results" my expected article goes even down to the fifth position.
We are running the latest on premise Version of Confluence. The issue was in older versions exactly the same.

Hope that someone can help.
Thank you

Regards
Simon

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tobias Anstett (K15t)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi Simon,

There is no way to configure this in Confluence out-of-the-box.

However for server (if you are a developer) you can write a custom app implementing a Lucene boosting strategy as described in https://developer.atlassian.com/server/confluence/lucene-boosting-strategy-module/

Best,
Tobias

Thomas Rainer September 4, 2018

Thank you for your fast reply Tobias!

That was the hint that I was searching for.. Seems that there is a plugin developer that addresses exactly that with his "search boost plugin".

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210798/search-boost-plugin-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

furthermore I found a related Issue to my problem. There are issues with "exact matches" in search results that can be fixed with this plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218947/exact-match-boost?hosting=server&tab=overview

or by changing the indexing language from german to english.

Thank you!

Lets see if it helps.

Regards
Simon

Tobias Anstett (K15t)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Awesome :-)

0 votes
Thomas Rainer September 5, 2018

But one thing is still not clear for me.. Why is the result in the "as you type" result different than on the results page when I click on "more results"?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events