Page/Space restrictions

Hello,

When I try to restrict a groups' access to a page/space, I do not get the option 'can't view'. I need to grant selective access to a group and allow them to see some spaces but not others.

Thanks,

Natalie

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Milo has it right.  The differentiation between space permissions and page restrictions is something I've found (in our Fortune 500 companies with a couple hundred spaces) that sometimes requires a few explanations in different ways, so let me add this spin to it:

SPACE PERMISSIONS. Spaces, which support additions of groups or individuals, define who has access to an entire space and what they can do in it (View, Edit, Add Files, Comment, etc.) 

PAGE RESTRICTIONS. The restrict feature, from a view aspect (there is a separate edit restrict as well), is where you can define - by additions of groups or individuals - whom from the entire list of those with permissions in the space (to view the space), can view that specific page.  Also notable is that the view rights on a page are 'inherited' by any child pages (these are pages that 'live' underneath that page, in the hierarchy on that space (currently edit rights are not inherited), so you can essentially create an entire restricted 'micro-space' within a larger space.

We have spaces with all employee access where some pages are restricted to just a few people or a group/groups of people.

So, it does not work the other way where the entire space has permissions allowing say a team of 10, but there are pages within that you wish to have access to all employees (the idea is you are 'restricting' from the universe of those in the permissions group. Make sense? Once you understand the difference between these two access types, you can generally create the access you need.

That is how it works.

Space-wise, listed has access, unlisted does not.

Page-wise, everyone with space access has page access, UNLESS someone is specified for the page, then everyone else does not.

Thank you both.  It took a while but with your help, its finally figured out.  I had to undo a lot of individual page restrictions so that the Space Permissions could work properly.  Lesson learnt the hard way!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

399 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you