Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to make AND search logic the default

David J. Lewis December 31, 2013

Is there an option to make AND logic the default for search queries. This would make...

fun games

... search for...

fun AND games

...instead of the current...

fun OR games

If there is no such option (which I suspect) I would like very strenuously to propose one. The current default is arguably a bug -- AND logic is by a large margin the prevalent default method (as in google and every other search engine I know), and also by far the most intuitive.

In fact, AND logic is so much better a choice, that it ought to be the default in Confluence and all Atlassian products. But I recognize that many users have gotten accustomed to default OR logic and it's not fair to them to change the built-in default. But at least provide an option.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

OK, I'll put in an improvement request. There are several changes and improvements I would like to suggest in the Confluence search function, but this is by far the most urgent.

Andreas January 1, 2014

Great, I'll give you a "me too" on that request!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2013

I don't think it can be fixed in Confluence without coding (let alone OnDemand where you can't do anything with the code)

I think it needs to be an improvement logged with Atlassian.

0 votes

Great! Can we fix it for Confluence OnDemand? OR default logic is just as confusing there as anywhere.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2013

"And" is the default in Jira already, and always has been, as "or" in there would be confusing at best.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events