Oops - an error has occurred

Tim Puttock July 11, 2012

I have downloaded the latest version of Confluence and installed it on my computer running Windows 7. After I have been given an evaluation license and enterred it during the setup, I get the following message:

System Error

A system error has occurred — our apologies!

For immediate troubleshooting, consult our knowledge base for a solution.

If you would like to receive support from Atlassian's support team, ask your Confluence administrator to create a support issue on Atlassian's support system with the following information:

1. a description of your problem and what you were doing at the time it occurred
  2. a copy of the error and system information found below
  3. a copy of the application logs (if possible).

Your Confluence administrator can use the support request form to create a support ticket which will include this information.

We will respond as promptly as possible.
Thank you!

Return to site homepage…

I have tried multiple times, but always with the same result. Any help would be hugely appreciated

3 answers

0 votes
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2013

Actually this error is related to this bug report:

* https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-21385

According to this bug is fixed in Confluence 3.5.9

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2012

Hi Tim,

as the error message says, it would be very helpful, if you would give us more information about your problem. Are there any error messages in the logfiles ?

Cheers

Thomas

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2012

What does the log file say?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2012

Well, we want you to read it first, there's a good chance it'll tell you exactly what the error is.

There's no way of knowing exactly where it'll be, it depends on your installation and OS, but look for a "logs" directory as the most likely place, and something like atlassian-confluence.log. It should be pretty obvious. If you still have no luck, look for something called "catalina.out" - that's the server log (as opposed to the application that the server is running), which is longer, but should still contain the errors.

Sorry, which log file do you need me to upload?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2012

I have found the log and it is very long, too long to paste in here but it also won't let me upload the file...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2012

Java stack traces can be very long, and most of us don't need to see most of them. Could you find the first few lines of each block of error? 99 times in a hundred, we need the semi-human description, and maybe the next two lines where it says "at some.random.java.class (42)". Discard any duplicate errors too - when Confluence fails to start, it usually throws the same error lots of times as it retries.

GRAVE: Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=500, location=/500page.jsp]
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: An exception occurred processing JSP page /500page.jsp at line 121

118:
119: if (sysInfoService != null)
120: {
121: confluenceInfo = sysInfoService.getConfluenceInfo();
122: memoryInfo = sysInfoService.getMemoryInfo();
123: dbInfo = sysInfoService.getSafeDatabaseInfo();
124: sysinfo = GeneralUtil.convertBeanToMap(sysInfoService.getSystemProperties());

Stacktrace:
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:519)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:422)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The CacheManager has been shut down. It can no longer be used.

It seems to be this over and over.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2012

and do you see any error messages in there ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2012

Ah, that makes some sense

> The CacheManager has been shut down

This usually means that Confluence has started up, the core has failed and started to shut down. Then all the other bits that rely on the core carry on trying to start (For a while) and throw this message because the core isn't usable.

Work your way back up the log to the first of these and then look around there for different errors, especially ones around the cache-manager.

That was the first block. Above that in the log there was this:

2012-07-12 17:55:06 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized
12-lug-2012 17.55.09 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule begin
AVVERTENZA: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule begin
AVVERTENZA: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
AVVERTENZA: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
AVVERTENZA: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8090
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 560 ms
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.32
12-lug-2012 17.56.01 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8090
12-lug-2012 17.56.01 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 51382 ms
12-lug-2012 18.04.04 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve custom

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2012

Ok, I get them too, but Confluence starts ok on my dev box despite that, so I don't think they're anything to worry about. Widen the search a little? Any other errors between you running "start" and that point? Or between those and the first "cache manager" fault?

To be honest I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, but it seems that every block is the same to me and the error is always related to the one I've posted above.

Without being able to upload the log file I'm not sure if this will be able to be resolved, but thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events