Oops - an error has occurred

I have downloaded the latest version of Confluence and installed it on my computer running Windows 7. After I have been given an evaluation license and enterred it during the setup, I get the following message:

System Error

A system error has occurred — our apologies!

For immediate troubleshooting, consult our knowledge base for a solution.

If you would like to receive support from Atlassian's support team, ask your Confluence administrator to create a support issue on Atlassian's support system with the following information:

1. a description of your problem and what you were doing at the time it occurred
  2. a copy of the error and system information found below
  3. a copy of the application logs (if possible).

Your Confluence administrator can use the support request form to create a support ticket which will include this information.

We will respond as promptly as possible.
Thank you!

Return to site homepage…

I have tried multiple times, but always with the same result. Any help would be hugely appreciated

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

What does the log file say?

Well, we want you to read it first, there's a good chance it'll tell you exactly what the error is.

There's no way of knowing exactly where it'll be, it depends on your installation and OS, but look for a "logs" directory as the most likely place, and something like atlassian-confluence.log. It should be pretty obvious. If you still have no luck, look for something called "catalina.out" - that's the server log (as opposed to the application that the server is running), which is longer, but should still contain the errors.

Sorry, which log file do you need me to upload?

I have found the log and it is very long, too long to paste in here but it also won't let me upload the file...

Java stack traces can be very long, and most of us don't need to see most of them. Could you find the first few lines of each block of error? 99 times in a hundred, we need the semi-human description, and maybe the next two lines where it says "at some.random.java.class (42)". Discard any duplicate errors too - when Confluence fails to start, it usually throws the same error lots of times as it retries.

GRAVE: Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=500, location=/500page.jsp]
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: An exception occurred processing JSP page /500page.jsp at line 121

118:
119: if (sysInfoService != null)
120: {
121: confluenceInfo = sysInfoService.getConfluenceInfo();
122: memoryInfo = sysInfoService.getMemoryInfo();
123: dbInfo = sysInfoService.getSafeDatabaseInfo();
124: sysinfo = GeneralUtil.convertBeanToMap(sysInfoService.getSystemProperties());

Stacktrace:
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:519)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:422)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The CacheManager has been shut down. It can no longer be used.

It seems to be this over and over.

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jul 11, 2012

and do you see any error messages in there ?

Ah, that makes some sense

> The CacheManager has been shut down

This usually means that Confluence has started up, the core has failed and started to shut down. Then all the other bits that rely on the core carry on trying to start (For a while) and throw this message because the core isn't usable.

Work your way back up the log to the first of these and then look around there for different errors, especially ones around the cache-manager.

That was the first block. Above that in the log there was this:

2012-07-12 17:55:06 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized
12-lug-2012 17.55.09 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule begin
AVVERTENZA: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule begin
AVVERTENZA: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
AVVERTENZA: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
AVVERTENZA: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8090
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 560 ms
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
12-lug-2012 17.55.10 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.32
12-lug-2012 17.56.01 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8090
12-lug-2012 17.56.01 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 51382 ms
12-lug-2012 18.04.04 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve custom

Ok, I get them too, but Confluence starts ok on my dev box despite that, so I don't think they're anything to worry about. Widen the search a little? Any other errors between you running "start" and that point? Or between those and the first "cache manager" fault?

To be honest I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, but it seems that every block is the same to me and the error is always related to the one I've posted above.

Without being able to upload the log file I'm not sure if this will be able to be resolved, but thanks for your help.

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jul 11, 2012

Hi Tim,

as the error message says, it would be very helpful, if you would give us more information about your problem. Are there any error messages in the logfiles ?

Cheers

Thomas

Actually this error is related to this bug report:

* https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-21385

According to this bug is fixed in Confluence 3.5.9

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

403 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you