One user needs to edit only some pages, but not the entire space

Oleg Kalinin May 17, 2016

Hi All,

One user needs to edit only some pages, but not the entire space content.

As I see, I need to grant Edit permission for the entire space to this user.

Without this Page restriction doesn't work.

The similar case I see - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/22657829

And I don't see a solution.

Please advise.

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Oleg Kalinin May 18, 2016

Rodney,

So, there is no way to grant permissions on a page level?

We need this user to EDIT only one page in frame of this space, no more.

Other space info may be viewed - no problem

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2016

That is correct.

Permissions is a concept that applies to the Space as a whole.

Restriction is where you "modify" a person's Permissions capability for individual pages.

Maybe you will just have to specifically set "Follow" for that User and keep an eye on what else they do - the automatic Page History version tracking means you can always restore to a version before they fiddled - I presume there has been a dialogue with them that you don't want them to fiddle with other pages - once they have been told and see that any inappropriate fiddling is easily undone with a simple click, I'm sure they will find better things to do with their time ....

0 votes
Oleg Kalinin May 17, 2016

Rodney,

Thanks for your answer.

But if I grant him "View" permission on the space level and then restricted Edit access for the specific page - will it work?

And in this case all people who needs to edit this page must be included to the restricted edit list for this page, even if they are granted Add permission on the space level?

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2016

The first hurdle is always what Permissions have been granted at the Space level to that User account.  If the User only has View access to the Space then that is all they can do regardless of any Page Restriction

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2016

You are correct as is the reference you quoted.

View Restrictions are inherited from the parent page to the child pages - noting if you can't view, you can't edit because you can't get to the page!

But Edit Restrictions are not inherited i.e. they must be set page-by-page i.e. a Restricted Edit parent does not automatically mean a Restricted Edit child

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events