OnDemand Performance Unbearably Slow

Amber Manry October 15, 2012

I am an OnDemand customer of Confluence,JIRA, and Greenhopper. Previously, it was just me working on projects. Now, I would like some team members to start using Confluence but find that the performance is unbearably slow.

How can I request faster response times? It takes over one minute to begin editing a page in Confluence.

37 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2012

In addition to Tim:

When you raise an issue at support.atlassian.com, can you please include as much of the following information as possible, and check if the problem exists on different variaties?

• Does the problem occur on more than 1 workstation
  • Does the problem occur from another (ie home) network (preferably from another workstation as well)
  • Operating system(s) used
  • Brower(s) used (and versions)
  • Java version(s) installed

I have tried to help someone through this problem, but have not been able to find anything (yet). Tests from Europe and Asia did not show any problems either. The more information we have the better

3 votes
TimT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

Amber,

This sounds very unusually slow. Please raise an issue on support.atlassian.com with details of your instance so one of our engineers can take a look and figure out what's going on.

Thanks,

Tim Moore
Atlassian OnDemand Development Lead

Amber Manry October 15, 2012

Thanks Tim. Today it seems that the response times are lightning fast. I will raise an issue if I see a performance problem again.

Thanks,

Amber

2 votes
ronnie_barker January 14, 2014

What do people mean by slow? I am complaining at support.atlassian.comthat my new instance takes 5s to respond to a page request whereas I see people here talking about 30s.

If this is 'normal' performance, I'm going to give up and use something else!

2 votes
Claes Lindblom October 2, 2013

Hi,
The OnDemand service is really slow here in Sweden (Northern Europe), its not on a level where you can charge for the service. When I pay it should be fast.

I have tried both at work and at home on a 100Mbps connection and the results are the same.

Best regards
/Claes

Joakim Söderberg October 30, 2013

Hello!

I also agree the OnDemand service is really slow from Sweden. I've tried several locations and ISPs as well.

Thaddeus Ryker June 22, 2015

Dirt slow from the US east coast too

1 vote
Kirill Gurbanov March 16, 2014

Just the same in Russia. I really want to buy JIRA (and actually paid for 1mo) but it's unusable with these great lags.

1 vote
Andrew Stone March 2, 2014

Hello,

Painfully slow in Sydney AU, I have tried on three ISPs including one on 4G.

Atlassian status page says everything is fine...

I love the tools but hate the performance problems!

Regards,

Andrew Stone.

1 vote
Tommaso Schiavinotto January 7, 2014

Slow in Italy as well.

1 vote
Jens Lund December 1, 2013

Denmark reporting to: Slow slow

1 vote
Andreas Liljeqvist November 29, 2013

Really slow here aswell.

0 votes
Domenico De Felice July 21, 2015

Really slow here as well, from Dublin, Ireland... a couple minutes per page (when I'm like only 30 secs) and continuous AJAX timeouts

0 votes
Thaddeus Ryker June 22, 2015

Yeah OnDemand is crap slow for me as well. This seems to be a common complaint.

0 votes
adamthebig June 13, 2015

Really slow for me. Baltimore, MD - Most likely going to ditch and go to DoneDone, Github and Travis CI.

Thaddeus Ryker June 25, 2015

I'm also in the same area just north of Baltimore and the service is incredibly crap slow for me too. It's very disappointing and sad how bad the performance is for such "professional" software. I will also be looking at future alternatives.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2015

The software is fine, it's the hosted offering that is the problem. It's one of the reasons I see a lot of "we want to host it ourselves" or "are there hosting providers nearer us" questions.

Thaddeus Ryker July 22, 2015

Well I would argue that the software is not fine given that they are offering it as a hosted solution and the performance is crap. I take your point that it works much better when hosted locally, but it is their responsibility if they are going to offer it as a hosted cloud solution, to insure that the software performs reasonably in the cloud.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2015

No, you're missing the point. If you take the software and run it yourself, it works. The software is not the problem. The hosting is the problem. If you host it elsewhere, the software works.

0 votes
Azat Khadiev May 4, 2015

We are using Confluence on Demand. Very very slow from Moscow. Comparing to other sites it is embarrassing.

0 votes
Pete Kucera August 17, 2014

Confluence On Demand slowness is making the solution useless. I have read through these blog posts about slowness and network issues. Most of the responses want to point the finger at the consumer. I can tell you that I have been using the same computer, same browser, same network, same version of Java since we signed up a few days ago and the page load times have been all over the board. Two nights ago, the site was clicking along with relatively normal response times as I built out the space. Yesterday and today, I can walk away for 20+ minutes between page request and come back to the browser loading icon still spinning. The 'ajax' functions to expand a page tree element also just spins for eternity. I have not done a full network trace, but every other site that I normally use is working just fine. I am on a Verizon FiOS network.

This trial period was supposed to be a test to determine if we want to use this platform for our business collaboration. Tomorrow morning, I have to demo the Confluence solution and I am honestly leaning toward not embarrasing myself. I have used Atlassian products before in a self hosted environment and I truely like the tools and features. But, this On Demand solution is not working out for us.

Pete

0 votes
Glownet July 9, 2014

Confluence on Demand is very-very-very slow. And not only our Instance but also event this very page take loads of time to load. And the page https://<instance>.atlassian.net/wiki/ takes about 10 seconds to load... It is so frustrating.

We are trying to make confluence the main plaftorm for knowledge and information sharing within the business. But all users hate doing it as it is sooooo slow. Clicking Edit or Save is not 0 sec as on great plaftorms like Trello and not even 0.25 as on Facebook or the like. It takes AGES.

Please find some way to fix this everywhere slowness!

0 votes
Chris Hager July 8, 2014

Very slow in Austria right now

0 votes
jaapoost July 7, 2014

Slow in the Netherlands as well

0 votes
Admin May 12, 2014

Pathetically slow for us in India

0 votes
Geoffrey McCaleb March 10, 2014

Have the same problem here in London. At work we have a 1:1 100MB connection - but Jira is painfully slow. At home a 20:1 140MB connection, same thing.

Unfortunately we've started using other alternatives as waiting 20-30 seconds for a page to load is just not workable. I tried going the support route but the only thing they try is rebooting our server.

0 votes
jasas1 March 10, 2014

Really slow JIRA OnDemand in Florida - though I've checked it on my trips to San Francisco too - also slow. My team has almost ceased using it - we're looking for alternatives. This appears to be on Atlassian's side. I've noticed other of their online services also seem very slow.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2014

I can only imagine they are suffering some massive DDoS attack or something. Almost two minutes to open the system dashboard here. Unusable. Sure am glad this is a complimentary instance.

0 votes
pamela_goloskie March 2, 2014

I'm in Los Angeles, and I'm seeing 6.35s wait times to load the Confluence and JIRA dashboards.

0 votes
kiransingh Ghoorbin February 28, 2014

Excrutiatingly slow from Switzerland

All browsers (IE, FF and Chrome)

Very often page doesnt load, and specially as an admin, this happens too often when I am administering confluence, JIRA and carrying out user and permissions management

0 votes
Trygve Sanne Hardersen February 14, 2014

Performance sucks here in Norway, so much it's a productivity issue.

0 votes
Geoffrey McCaleb February 9, 2014

Same here. I am in the UK and am on a dedicated T1 in the office, and 120MB connection at home. Both are horribly slow. Sometimes it takes as long as 30 seconds to load a page, more to create a ticket or search. Really really bad.

I've done a variety of pings, and while not entirely scientific I believe it might have something to do with the peering between the UK and the datacenter? When I ping from our dev box in The Netherlands, the pings seem normal (avg: 90ms). From the UK its about 2-3x slower.

Will be posting a support ticket.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2014

It's mostly the amount of memory allocated and the network connection from the OnDemand data center.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events