Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbers from Table of Content'-Macro in Headings

Jakob Hingst December 10, 2021

Hello!

Is it possible to adopt the numbers from the Table of Content in the Content?

If using the Table of Content Macro, there is, of course, the option to number the entries in the Table according to the used Headings throughout the content. I would like to use the same numbers in the Content itself. E.g. I am reading a page and am a few scrolls down, the next Heading could read: "3.1.2. Conclusion".

The best solution I have found is to enter the number manually in each heading and deactivate the numbering feature in the 'Table of Contents'-Macro. Is there a way to avoid manual entry of the numbers and instead have automatic generation of the in-content numbers?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2021

Hi @Jakob Hingst  Yes, you can install the numbered-headings.

Althoug numbered headings come from a time before hyperlinks, so not sure I see their value on a web page (and the ToC gives you hyperlinks to each section).

Jakob Hingst December 13, 2021

Hi @Bill Bailey Thank you very much for your quick reply! It is a great help. To me, their value lies in consistency between the table of contents and the corresponding headings throughout the content, as well as in providing some extra-orientation while reading a page (e.g. by seeing 3.1.2. Placeholder Heading one gets some extra understanding of where in the content you are). I see it as a nice bonus, rather than a necessity.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events