New guy on fire! OOM - GC overhead limit issue

Michael Marks September 19, 2014

Hey gang: up front, I have read all of the prior posts and linked articles regarding the GCOL / OOM error I am seeing in Confluence running under Win7. I have read that a likely course of action may involve increasing the memory allocation to JVM and possibly to the tomcat6w.exe. Here is my unique predicament: I am a Mac / UI design guy who failed to duck when this problem occurred during a time the normal PC/Win techs are all off-site. (Never mind the bad planning that went into THAT decision.) But as a graphics guy, several lines in the KnowledgeBase entries and prior replies are just beyond my grasp.  But much like Scotty, I'm being told that disaster will occur if I can't get the warp drive back online...

It would mean a lot if somebody could point me to a plain-english walkthrough of how to edit the memory parameters for my JVM (which I read should be done in small 512 increments as "too much" can be as bad as "too little.")  The server is a beefy machine, some 32GB of actual RAM, if that impacts the equation at all. I see that the Java Melody Plugin is recommended for Garbage Collection Tuning but I am hopeful that is something I can defer to the pros later on - if a memory adjustment gets this back online for now, I'll call it a win.

Sorry to ask a previously-posted question, and thanks in advance for any help.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2014

I'm glad that I could help you Michael smile

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you to mark this answer as  "accepted answer”, since it could help other people facing the same issue.

Cheers, 

Renato Rudnicki

1 vote
Michael Marks September 21, 2014

Aaaaaand... problem solved! Your assistance was terrific Renato, thanks ever so much.

1 vote
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2014

For sure Mike, 

Any question you can post here smile

Cheers, 

Renato Rudnicki

1 vote
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2014

Hey Michael, how are you doing?

So, as you said you have already tried some steps and have also read lots of documentation… However, may I ask if you had the chance to check this documentation ?

Please, let me ask you a few questions to better understand the situation:

• What kind of issues are you experiencing? I mean, your Confluence gets slow when you try to upload a file or when trying to access a blogpost, for example?
  • Are you running your Confluence over HTTPS?
  • Is there another application running on the same Confluence server? Or this server is dedicated only for Confluence?
  • Is your Confluence server virtualized?

Maybe this link can help you to better understand tomcat tuning.  Also, this another link can be useful to help you on understanding how Tomcat memory works.

However, if you not sure about what more you can do about this tuning, I strongly suggest you to open a ticket with Atlassian Support about it. 

However, if you are not sure about what else you can do to tune your Tomcat, I’d strongly suggest you to contact the Atlassian Experts.

All the best, 

Renato Rudnicki

Thanks Renato.

1) I did not see the documentation in your link above, and clicking your first link produced this "Page level restrictions apply to this page. These restrictions limit access to specific users or groups." 

2) as to my symptoms, attempting to access the Confluence site results in an extended lag in which the browser status bar states "Waiting for response from (IP address)" - it will sometimes load the page after 10-30 seconds of delay, or just time out.

3) No we are not using HTTPS

4) The server has nothing else running on it. It literally just has a browser outside of Confluence.

5) As to the server being virtualized, I'm not sure how to answer that. It is loaded on the server (ie no cloud components) and running under Win 7.

I can see your last two links and will read those carefully. Thanks for your help!

rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2014

Hi again Michael smile

I edit the first link, and I believe now you will be able to see the content. If not, please let me know.

Cheers, 

Renato Rudnicki

0 votes

The edited link works perfectly Renato, thank you so much. I am diving into that now. I do appreciate your help.

best,

Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events