Need to exclude excerpt pages with instantsearch

verwooks December 9, 2016

I have 1 space with several pages that only serve the purpose to provide excerpt content to several pages in my wiki. I have removed all excerpt content in search already with hideExcerptMacro=false (at least thats how i think it work) I would also be nice to remove all pages in this space for search. For example if a page has the name "Wifi" i want that article removed from the instantsearch. 

Can I exclude spaces with the "filter" + - attribute? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2016

Hi Atle,

By default there's no way to exclude individual pages from the search, unless you change the Lucene search engine to one of your choice that will allow you to do this (I'm assuming you're on a server version, as you haven't tagged your question with any cloud tags).

If you have your excerpt content in a different space you can archive that space.  Anything in that space will not show up in the search results, and the space won't display in the Space directory unless a user filters for archived spaces.

If you're looking for a way of hiding individual pages in a space, and you still need other content in that space to appear in the search results, the answers to this question are probably your best place to start.

verwooks December 9, 2016

Forgot to mention im using the add-on "Instantsearch"

https://bitbucket.org/ndunn/instant-search/wiki/Home

Any idea on how to use "filter" attribute? Could this solve the problem?

If you have your excerpt content in a different space you can archive that space.  Anything in that space will not show up in the search results, and the space won't display in the Space directory unless a user filters for archived spaces.

Will archived content be visible / accessible to users? I tried to hide with permissions but excerpt content would be "access denied" then.

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2016

Hi Atle,

I've not used that add-on, and the documentation is a little...vague, to say the least!  So I don;t want to comment on the filter attribute, because honestly I'm not sure.

Archived content is still visible and accessible to users, but it doesn't show up in the search results.  So if you have a space that contains Excerpt macros, you can archive that space and the Excerpt Include macro will still show content from an archived space in a non-archived space, as long as you don't change the space permissions to prevent people viewing the archived space.

Although archived spaces don't show up in the space directory by default, users can turn on the Archived filter in the Search directory to see and access the archived spaces.  They can also access archived spaces (or pages within archived spaces) by following a link.

verwooks December 13, 2016

How do i archive? Is it the same as delete space?

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2016

Hi Atle,

No, archiving and deleting space are very different. 

When you delete a space it is removed permanently - Instructions for deleting a space

When you archive a space it essentially hides it from the Space Directory and Search, but it doesn't remove it from Confluence - Instructions for archiving a space

A word of warning: An archived space can be un-archived, but if you delete a space it is a permanent deletion and can't be undone.  You might want to take a backup first just in case.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events