NULLPointer on startup

I just installed Confluence on Ubuntu 16.04.
After installation an error is reported on the browser without any specifications of the problem.
In the logfile I found the following StackTrace:
2017-11-11 22:21:15,083 ERROR [http-nio-8090-exec-4] [[Standalone].[localhost].[/].[johnson-data-servlet]] log Servlet.service() for servlet [johnson-data-servlet] in context with path [] threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.atlassian.confluence.health.LegacyJohnsonEventSerializer.toJson(LegacyJohnsonEventSerializer.java:29)
        at com.atlassian.confluence.health.JohnsonEventCollectionSerializer.serializeEvent(JohnsonEventCollectionSerializer.java:46)
        at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:193)
        at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1374)
        at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
        at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
        at java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(ReduceOps.java:708)
        at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
        at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(ReferencePipeline.java:499)
[...]

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Florian,

Usually those NullPointers are generic, and doesn't give a full picture of the problem. May I ask you, if you can reach Confluence's database through Confluence's box?

To rule out a problem with the plugins during the startup, can you please do the following steps to clean the plugin cache?

* Shutdown Confluence
Delete the content from the following folders:
     <confluence-home>/plugin-cache
     <confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache 
     <confluence-home>/plugins-temp
     <confluence-install-dir>/work/* 
* Startup Confluence

And better way is read https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upgrade-notes-overview-176882813.html

OR double check you config files like, init.properties, setenv.sh, server.xml, confluence.db.xml. and check owners for home and installation directories

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Hey Gonchik,

thanks for your fast answer. It worked fine.

The main problem were insuffizient provided CPUs by the hoster, which caused that many errors.

Best wishes,
Flo

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

569 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you