NULLPointer on startup

Florian Dorfhuber
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 11, 2017

I just installed Confluence on Ubuntu 16.04.
After installation an error is reported on the browser without any specifications of the problem.
In the logfile I found the following StackTrace:
2017-11-11 22:21:15,083 ERROR [http-nio-8090-exec-4] [[Standalone].[localhost].[/].[johnson-data-servlet]] log Servlet.service() for servlet [johnson-data-servlet] in context with path [] threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.atlassian.confluence.health.LegacyJohnsonEventSerializer.toJson(LegacyJohnsonEventSerializer.java:29)
        at com.atlassian.confluence.health.JohnsonEventCollectionSerializer.serializeEvent(JohnsonEventCollectionSerializer.java:46)
        at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:193)
        at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1374)
        at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
        at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
        at java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(ReduceOps.java:708)
        at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
        at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(ReferencePipeline.java:499)
[...]

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2017

Hi Florian,

Usually those NullPointers are generic, and doesn't give a full picture of the problem. May I ask you, if you can reach Confluence's database through Confluence's box?

To rule out a problem with the plugins during the startup, can you please do the following steps to clean the plugin cache?

* Shutdown Confluence
Delete the content from the following folders:
     <confluence-home>/plugin-cache
     <confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache 
     <confluence-home>/plugins-temp
     <confluence-install-dir>/work/* 
* Startup Confluence

And better way is read https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upgrade-notes-overview-176882813.html

OR double check you config files like, init.properties, setenv.sh, server.xml, confluence.db.xml. and check owners for home and installation directories

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Florian Dorfhuber
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 14, 2017

Hey Gonchik,

thanks for your fast answer. It worked fine.

The main problem were insuffizient provided CPUs by the hoster, which caused that many errors.

Best wishes,
Flo

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events