Mirror a Space but Search and Replace Links and Page Content before Import

Michael Scholze February 18, 2020

Hello everyone, 

On the subject-matter "Space / Multi-Page Search & Replace" for Confluence I found the following, rather disheartening things:

• Year-old Discussions and Rejected Feature Requests
  • One Addon that hasn't updated in years and immediately throws errors (Synchronicity) on my Confluence 7.1.1 Server
  • "Hacks" with Command Lines and SQL manipulations

The problem(s):

1. We want to bring our documentation online to a wide audience, which means 1000+ pages with a <ProductName> in Page Content and Page Titles / Links.
  2. These <ProductNames> can change, branch or diversify at any later point time, think of "Supersoft" and "Supersoft Plus"
  3. Additionally, outdated macros in Content may need replacement (a classic!)
  4. But: Confluence does not support mass-manipulation of these things even in the slightest (out of box at least). 

My Attempts

Trying to export a space, modify the content (even with some Regex), but that is risk prone and basically stopped at the import at the point where Confluence does not allow the same Page ID (or even Space-Name) to be re-imported to overwrite my content. 

The Question:

What's the best "Search and Replace" practice as a Content Admin?

How do other content managers even manage huge instances efficiently? Command Line Interfaces and SQL require in-depth knowledge, have almost no means of "previewing" the outcome and prove to be fatal and final if you catch too much content with them.

We do daily backups, but a 2nd Server Instance test these things seems mandatory. :(

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated!

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events