Migrating Confluence Server to Cloud - Content now all marked as 'former user'

Nicole Manilal January 23, 2019

We have migrated our Confluence Server 6.10.1 to the Cloud using the Cloud Migration Assistant and following these instructions:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/cloud-migration-assistant-for-confluence-959303217.html

However, we seem to be missing something as we set up users in Confluence Cloud manually (only 25 users) prior to migrating the spaces as per the instructions but now the reference to any users in all documentation says 'former user'.  For some reason there is no mapping between our users from old to new (even if email addresses of users are the same).

Anyone have any experience here and may be able to point us to where we are going wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Noni Hollonds
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2019

Thanks Nicole for letting us know about this issue. We've been paying close attention to your feedback and issues, and are happy to let you know we've just released a new version of the app that fixes this problem.

The Could Migration Assistant for Confluence (v2.0.0) will now help you to easily migrate your users and groups, as well as spaces. Migrating them all together will resolve the issue that displays ‘former user’.

We’re also working on an upcoming update to Confluence Cloud, to allow email addresses to be used to identify users.

Thanks again for the feedback!
- Noni

Liam Power
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 10, 2019

Hi Noni,

Our Confluence was also migrated to Atlassian Cloud and has the same issue as reported by Nicole. We are considering migrating our JIRA to Atlassian Cloud now. The person who handled the migration has since left.

Can the Could Migration Assistant for Confluence (v2.0.0) be applied to an already migrated Confluence instance to fix this issue?

- Liam

Noni Hollonds
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2019

Hi Liam,

We normally recommend migrating Jira before Confluence because the Jira migration will overwrite any Confluence users you already have in cloud.

In your case, after you have migrated Jira, you should then be able to run a users only migration using the Cloud Migration Assistant for Confluence to re-migrate your Confluence users. It's possible that this will also resolve your issue however, I can't be sure without more details.  

I highly recommend getting familiar with our migration planning guides:

If you continue to have issues, reach out to our technical support team

- Noni

Like Liam Power likes this
Liam Power
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 10, 2019

Thanks Noni. This is good to know.

We are currently on server version JIRA v7.3.6, which is 2+ years old. Our IT guys are proposing to move JIRA to Cloud as they have already moved our Confluence.

I'm wondering if it is best for us just to upgrade server to latest 7.13 or 8.0.2 first and ensure we are happy with it before moving it over to Cloud.

Noni Hollonds
Atlassian Team
April 10, 2019

Hi Liam, 

You technically can migrate Jira with the version you are on however, we can't guarantee it will be successful on versions earlier than 7.6.0. 

We'd recommend upgrading to 7.6.0 or later before migrating, although it's not mandatory. 

Feel free to connect with our technical support team for assistance with this. 

- Noni

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2019

Are the user names identical, not just the email addresses?

Nicole Manilal January 29, 2019

Hi Bill,

No, this could be our issue as they are not identical, but Altassian support have said they can help and provide mapping between the two so we will get their assistance to sort it for us. 

Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events