Migrate Partial Data from 3.4.1 to 4.3?

Justin Howe May 3, 2013

Hello,

My organization has Confluence 3.4.1 already loaded with years of data in many different data spaces. We also have 4.3 recently set up on another server that we'd like to slowly migrate data to, first for specific spaces (not all at once) and eventually have everything migrated over.

1) Is it possible to migrate specific data spaces from 3.4.1 to 4.3?

2) If not, is it possible to migrate the entire data set from 3.4.1 to 4.3?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

Justin,

Just wanted to let you and anyone else stumbling on this post that there is no way to ship data directly from 3.4.1 to 4.3.

In order to use Space XML export/import you will need to upgrade your legacy system up to 4.3. Your upgrade path is going to be 3.4.1 - > 3.5.17 -> 4.3 to ensure that you pick up the new user management piece in 3.5.x.

From there you can follow the documents linked above to do the space import and export to get your legacy data into your new instance.

Justin Howe May 5, 2013

Thanks Daniel,

I noticed the same information you provided in the documentation that Ramiro linked to, and am awaiting a response from the person in charge of that data space within our organization. We currently have 3.4.1 and 4.3 installed simultaneously on different resources, and I believe they would like to keep 3.4.1 as an in-tact resource for a while until 4.3 is brought up to speed as to mitigate any possible complications. I'm not sure how the licensing goes, but is it possible to duplicate our 3.4.1 installation, upgrade that as per your suggestion, and then once completed scrap our existing 4.3 install? I'm not sure if that's something that can be done with however licencing is registered, etc.

Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

Justin,

That is not a problem at all. Setting up a test envinronment and performing the upgrade in test is a great idea. You will be able to export your spaces unfettered.

What 4.3 instance do you want to scrap? The instance you are upgrading to 4.3 right?

Justin Howe May 5, 2013

Thanks Daniel,

We have a current 4.3 install that is for the most party void of any data, so that is what we would scrap once the conversion up to 4.3 is done on a duplicate of our 3.4.1.

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2013
0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2013

Justin,

Just wanted to let you and anyone else stumbling on this post that there is no way to ship data directly from 3.4.1 to 4.3.

In order to use Space XML export/import you will need to upgrade your legacy system up to 4.3. Your upgrade path is going to be 3.4.1 - > 3.5.17 -> 4.3 to ensure that you pick up the new user management piece in 3.5.x.

From there you can follow the documents linked above to do the space import and export to get your legacy data into your new instance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events