Make a nice overview over 30 employes in alfabetical order

Heidi Braaen June 10, 2016

I would like to make a page in Confluence with a nice overview over 30 employees with their picture and name and profession underneath. So when a new person is hired, I avoid having to change everything if that person has a last name which begins with a letter early in the alfabet. That new employee should just jump right into the proper alfabetical place. Does anyone know of a simple plugin in Confluence or have any other suggestions to how I can do this

2 answers

1 vote
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

If you would have a separate page per employee you may use the Page Properties and Page Properties Report Macro to list them on a overview page. But I'm not sure if you could add images as properties or if you have enough control over the rendering for your use case.

An alternative solution may be the projectdoc Toolbox. This is a commercial add-on where I am one of the authors.

The toolbox allows to run queries on documents and transclude sections. So the approach is the same: one page per employee, but this time you would use the Document Properties Marker Macro to specify properties (which may include images) and the Section Macro to add more information in text form.

Then use the Transclude Documents Macro and select those properties and sections you want to show. Or you could use the Display Table Macro to render the information in a table. Typically the overview page is the parent of the employee pages.

The example Transclude Child Documents may given an impression on how the Transclude Documents Macro would work. In The Workhorse Macros there is a hands-on example on how to use the Display Table Macro.

The advantage of the transclusion approach is that you have full control over the section content you transclude. Selection (and sorting) is based on the properties. The table approach allows only to control the order of the columns. I assume that this is not enough for your use case, so I would recommend to try the Transclude Documents Macro.

The add-on is available on the Atlassian Marketplace.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

If you have Confluence Cloud you could write a Connect add-on for a macro.

If you have Confluence self-hosted you could write an add-on or add a User Macro into Confluence. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events