Looking for solutions for large backups failing

Mariam Slade March 27, 2024

We have a large Confluence instance (close to 1TB). So far, we have been unable to successfully complete backups without errors. Has anyone with a large instance found anything that works without an app?

We've tried multiple ways of completing both UI and BRIE CLI backups. 

Our preference would be to automate the backups and we have tried a few unofficial scripts for that but they're not working. Probably because the backups are not working in general. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (not apps)

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2024

Hi @Mariam Slade 

Just to confirm, you can't create a backup using these steps? - https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/create-a-site-backup/

I'd contact Atlassian Support if not, and get their view on the situation first as to why the backup might be failing.

Let us know what they say!

Ste

Mariam Slade April 2, 2024

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ,

Yes, I've tried the most standard backup option, that you linked. I've tried multiple ways of completing both UI and BRIE CLI backups. I've been back and forth with support for over a year. I've spoken to our CSM about the issue, and I've spoken to a Product Manager for backup solutions, from Atlassian. No luck.

Actually, the Product Manager told us not to bother trying the UI backups again as it doesn't work for large instances. If you have examples of where it has worked for a large instance, please let me know and I will send it to them to see what they say. 

I do not believe that we are the only Cloud customer with a large instance size so I am reaching out to the community in hopes that someone might be able to suggest something that has worked for them.

As a side note, our Jira instance is much smaller and the Jira backups are working.

Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2024

Hi @Mariam Slade 

I am from Revyz, we help Atlassian cloud customers with their backup and granular restore needs in addition to managing your Jira configuration etc.. more on our apps here.

Happy to help you with your confluence and Jira backups if you are open to using a third party app like what we have to offer. 

Here are some of the key differences:

1. We don't rely on Atlassian's backup mechanisms to extract date or to restore data instead we use publicly available RESTful API's to GET data out and POST data back

2. We automate daily backups and we provide for incremental backup of your Jira and confluence

3. Backing up data is one thing (seems like for Jira it works), restoring data is another thing (much more harder to do) imagine you took a backup on the 4th and you have to restore things back on the 6th, when you do that, all the work done since the time you took the back up is wiped out, so instead of restoring data you will end up loosing data. Unless you decide to restore the data to a different site and extract what you want (complicated process).

4. Our backups are searchable, which is what enables us to provide you with granular recovery

happy to help let me know.

Thank you

Vish

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders