Links in Word documents don't work when uploaded to Confluence

Julia O'Gara May 30, 2018

I uploaded two Word .docx documents to a page in Confluence. There are links in the first document that point to the second document that work correctly outside of Confluence, but after uploading both documents, the links no longer work.  When I click the document link on the Confluence page, the document containing the links opens in the viewer but the linked text is not displayed as a link (not colored or underlined), and when I hover my cursor over the link text, the link tooltip is not displayed.  The same thing happens if I right-click the document link and choose Open--  the linked text is not displayed.  Is there something I need to configure in Confluence to allow the links to be active in the uploaded document?  Or do I need to actually create the links in the uploaded document on the Confluence page?  I'm not sure how to do that.

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Varma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2018

Hi @Julia O'Gara,

Please note that once the documents are uploaded to a Confluence page, they are attachments to that page and they have their own hyperlinks by which they can be accessed as individual files.

With regard to your question, the linking between the two files, do not apply once they are uploaded to Confluence. Confluence treats them as two different files.

The best you can do is to insert both the documents as thumbnails on the Confluence page so that you are at least aware that both the files are attached to this Confluence page.

Regards,

Ravi Varma

Julia O'Gara June 1, 2018

Thanks for the information, Ravi, I didn't realize it worked that way.  That seems like an inconvenience to me because people are accustomed to using links between different kinds of documents.  Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate your help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events