Link or embed gantt chart in confluence

Jay Barra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2012

We are using Microsoft Project to create gantt charts but it would be much more convenient to handle this with a plug-in or import feature in Confluence. The gantt chart plug-ins for JIRA dont' quite meet the requirements I have so I uninstalled them.

I needed to be able to track multiple projects without tracking every project that I have going on. I'd like to the chart visible to my team after it has been created and I haven't found a good way to go about inserting the output of Microsoft Project into Confluence. Is anyone else trying to work with gantt charts in Confluence or JIRA?

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

you can approach your problem by:

1. exporting Gantt charts from JIRA using the JIRA PDF View Plugin (see the sample)

2. attaching those PDFs to Confluence pages

3. embed the PDF files with the View File macro

1 vote
Lisa Rahder February 27, 2013

The Creatley solution reads like it replaces MS Project, but cannot duplicate its features, and does not allow for display of an MS Project gantt.

Ferenc's solution is a workaround that begins with "Exporting gantt charts from Jira", but the gantt is not yet in Jira, it is in MS Project. Do you mean Export the MS Project gantt that was inserted with an existing plugin, Ferenc?

We use MS project for our planning, and will continue to, we just need to view an MS Project gantt within a Confluence page to avoid the current, clumsy process of detach, view, close, and delete from local... We don't want to do any editing inside Confluence. Is there a way to do this?

(The Connector by Ecliptic, et cetera, has functionality we do not need)

Thanks!

Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2013

I actually thought that you plan to replace MS Project with JIRA. It seems you don't (you should! :-)).

In that case there are plugins to integrate Project with JIRA, most notably The Connector: http://www.the-connector.com/index.aspx (I'm not affiliated with them in any way, and I don't know about the quality of The Connector.)

If you can get your data from Project to JIRA, then export that to Gantt using the PDF View Plugin and embed the resulted PDF in a Confluence page.

1 vote

These solutions all address replacing MS Proect with Confluence: is there a way to insert an MS Project file into a page for viewing alone, so avoiding the clumsy current need to detach, open, then delete from your local drive later?

We have no intention of replacing Project , or need to edit within Confluence, just want the team to be able to view MSProject fike as-is. Can you suggest a plug-in/soltution for this?

Thanks!

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2013

I actually thought that you plan to replace MS Project with JIRA. It seems you don't (you should! :-)).

In that case there are plugins to integrate Project with JIRA, most notably The Connector: http://www.the-connector.com/index.aspx (I'm not affiliated with them in any way, and I don't know about the quality of The Connector.)

If you can get your data from Project to JIRA, then export that to Gantt using the PDF View Plugin and embed the resulted PDF in a Confluence page.

0 votes

These solutions all address replacing MS Project with Confluence: is there a way to insert an MS Project file into a page for viewing alone, so avoiding the clumsy current need to detach, open, then delete from your local drive after viewing?

We have no intention of replacing Project , or need to edit within Confluence, just want the team to be able to view MSProject file as-is. Can you suggest a plug-in/soltution for this?

Thanks!

0 votes
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2012

Hi Jay,

There's also the Creately for Confluence plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.cinergix.confluence.plugins.creately.CreatelyConfluence

It provides an easy way to draw diagrams and charts, and it supports many diagram types including Gantt charts.

Hope it helps!

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2012

Another option inside Confluence is Creately

Tina Huston March 2, 2019

Creatlely is not supported on the cloud version :((

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events