Limiting Users to Certain Spaces in Confluence?

I'm having trouble setting up confluence the way I'm trying to. I have different team types in my business, Accounting, Designers, Developers, etc.. and I want to limit each user to their own space so Designers can only see the Designers space, Developers can only see the Developers space, etc.. When I create a test user after assigning them to say the Designers group, as a Designer I can still see all the other spaces even though I have each space restricted to being visible by users of that group like Developers space restricted to users added to the Developers group but as a Designer, I can still see the Developers space.  Not only that, but when I log in as a Designer I can see the A list of all the spaces on the left side of the screen.  How do I get rid of that also so a Designer goes straight into the Designer space and can't see any of the other spaces?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

It sounds like you've opened up the permissions too widely.  Go to a space and look at the settings for permissions.  What groups and users are listed?  Check all three sections

Where is the permissions? This is what I have under Spaces -> Restrictions for Bookkeepers: https://cloudup.com/cC7MBrzEr3I

Restrictions are for restricting individual pages. You need to look at the space *permissions* first, as they control access to the whole space. Space Admin -> Permissions is the tab you need.

Got it the way I wanted thanks!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Calling all marketing teams who use Confluence - we want to hear from you!

Hi Community! me again 🙂 If you’re a marketing team using Confluence, we want to hear your story! How did you start using Confluence? What are your use cases? What have been some of the benefits?...

182 views 3 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you