Leaving comments on PDF

Stephen Fischer November 5, 2020

Has anyone had issues adding comments to PDF's within Confluence? 

That, along with sharing documents, is not working. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2020

Stephen,

Welcome to the community.  Sharing and commenting are working just fine in multiple browsers for me.  Often time for commenting individual grab the pin in the upper right hand corner and try to drag it.  You need to hover over the pdf page and a menu will appear this is where you need to drag the pin from.  See image below.

Capture.PNG

Cameron Gull March 17, 2022

I'm now using the Cloud version of Confluence and the expected comment pin doesn't show up. It only shows zoom, full screen and presentation. The pin is missing. 

I'm used to the Datacenter version. Does this feature exist in Cloud? 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

@Cameron Gull If the file is on a page and you click it then for some reason it will not show up.  If you select view on the attachments page then the comment option is available.   https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/share-and-comment-on-files/

Capture44.PNG

Thanks Brant. I actually had just discovered that, but wow, that's certainly not the most intuitive approach.

Gone are the days when you could simply click on a thumbnail of a PDF and add comments? Adding attachments, opening the flag and clicking on View just isn't intuitive. We'd really struggle with Confluence adoption here if this persists.  Please tell me this is seen as a bug and will get resolved?

The Data Center version works as expected (but everything else seems 5+ years old). I was hoping the Cloud version was far more modern but seems like we want backwards in this instance. 

Like Mackenzie Albitz likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2022

There are some items in cloud that do seem like a step back.  Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward and I believe that is what Atlassian is doing.  I know that they are investing heavily in the cloud products and there have been a lot of great changes over the last two years.  The change to the editor and a few others were challenging if you are coming from server.  I know that they are trying to lay a foundation to move forward and it seems like it is working so hopefully inconveniences like this get addressed.  

Totally agree with what you're saying. My only headscratcher is that the functionality actually still exists - it's not like it's gone - but you have to dig for it. Moving that functionality when users click on the PDF thumbnail would be fantastic. Just sayin'. :) 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Paul April 7, 2024

You might want to check out Workflow - it’s essentially Trello, but specifically designed for teams who need to proof PDFs and other creative assets. You create tasks, upload PDFs, and comment on them right in the app. (full disclosure - I'm one of the founders!). 

We're currently in closed beta, but if you’re interested in getting early access, lmk (paul@workflow.design). I'd be more than happy to hook you up and get your feedback

Cheers! 😊

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events