It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is there anyway to get around the loss of indents and in the new Confluence editor?

The new editor is removing indent/outdent which rely on constantly.  Has anyone discovered a work around?

5 answers

1 vote
philoye Atlassian Team Feb 13, 2019

Indent is available in the new editor by using the tab key within headings/paragraphs.

Then we are all good.  Thanks Phil.  We have a collective sigh of relief on our end.  In fact, I would say be able to use key strokes is an upgrade.

Like # people like this

I find this really annoying. There has always been a difference between tabbing and indenting. Using tab to get indenting means I am relearning what those things mean for one application. It's not life changing but I created a document, I selected multiple paragraphs and looked for the indent button on the toolbar. Then went hunting in all the mores and ...s then went hunting on the Internet. Oh, look, you can tab. Tab now indents that entire paragraph. Unlike every other application since the beginning of time where tab only indents the first line of that paragraph. Which is apparently something I can no longer do in an application that is essentially an editor. 

So now, to indent all the paragraphs in that section, I am tabbing each one of them. I literally just hit tab for 20 different paragraphs for just the first section of my document. 

Ah ha. I have now realised that I can select all the paragraphs and then hit tab. Gosh, this is fun. I really wanted to waste this time today.

Like # people like this

Once I have indented a block of text using tab, I can't figure out how to out-dent. Also, when I tried to indent a bulleted list, tab didn't work. 

Like Midori Connolly likes this

Without testing I thought this was an actual solution.  Agree with Melinda that tabbing is not the same as indenting.  It means retabbing every line.  Maybe I missed the Memo that programmers don't like to indent anymore.

Like Midori Connolly likes this
1 vote

Sorry, but what are we talking about. Indent - Outdent: A major funktion to get a text structured and more readable just has been removed without any notice...

That is, to say it polite, at least unpolite.

Can't say how angry I am!

0 votes
Zak_Laughton Atlassian Team Feb 13, 2019

Hi Andy,

I haven't noticed this yet, but I might not be using indent the same way. Do you have some examples of how the indenting is being impacted on your site?

– Zak

Not yet, but the new editor is completely eliminating indents and I just received an email that we are going to be forced to convert over in the coming weeks.  It is just a disaster for us as we make extensive use of indents on virtually every page for our code documentation and have for years.  I'm at a loss for what we will do.

I'm familiar with the editor from JIRA, which never had indents, which we find clunky, but manageable for the kinds of simple issues we list in JIRA.  In Confluence, it will just kill us.

And further off topic, the new colors make it more difficult to distinguish things, especially for those with any color blindness.  The palate doesn't even have a plain red, blue and green.  

But we can live with bad colors.  The indents is another matter.

@philoye Will there be an option to indent checklists when editing Global templates and Blueprints as there once was? Or am I missing something? Thanks!

How do we outdent if the only way to indent is to use a tab?  

How in the world are we supposed to make lists with indented content under each item?

For example 

1) xxxxxxxxxxx

*xxxxxx

*xxxxxxx

2) xxxxxxxxxx

etc

TIL The non-intuitive [shift] [tab] works to outdent. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

382 views 11 11
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you