Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is there a way to turn a page into a template?

I just cleaned up a little bit... And along with my sections, I removed the templates that were defined in them.
I still have pages that I could easily use to retrieve my templates, but I don't know how I can do that.

I tried to copy the content from one of those pages into a fresh template. But that didn't work well.

So, my question: can I turn a page into a template?

A little bit like saving Word documents (docx) to Word templates (dotx)...

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I'm afraid not, you've already identified the closest thing we have to "create template from this page" - copy and paste.

Isn't this a request for a standard feature? this would be so easy to do then? because the Copy/Paste ins't that great... especially when you have setup some layout 

#featurerequest

Like # people like this

Copying templates is not a "standard feature" in wikis - some don't even have templates!

I know there's some feature requests open in Atlassian's product development/support Jira over at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse 

This site is a place to talk about Atlassian stuff, it's not about product management.  Atlassian are active here though, and it's not unusual to find issues raised by Atlassians in their Jira that say "raised because of conversation X over in the community"

If you can't find an appropriate feature logged there to vote on, then go ahead and raise one. 

I don't have one bookmarked (my list of things I would like is way too long, and this one, while I'd like it, is well below the top 64, so I'm not paying much attention), but I am sure there are open ones for it.

I am also looking to create a Template from a Page. Maybe this will bump up the priority of the feature request.

Like # people like this

It won't, Atlassian don't use Community for gathering requests - see my previous comment.

Please, refer to this link https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/create-a-template/ in order to create a new template. And then when you create a new page, you will be able to select your own template on the template list.

0 votes
Sara Kolb I'm New Here Feb 04, 2022

The way I work around not being able to save a page as a template is to - Copy and rename the page. 
You can create the 'template page' and name it Template X (or whatever you want). Then every time you need it, copy it into the needed space, then Edit the Title.
Note: when you first make the copy the page will be listed as "Copy of Template X" but again, just edit the title and it will save just fine.

This should be a feature.

Agree.  I ran into the necessity of this today.

See the answered thread above.

I have read the thread. 

I also would like the ability to create a template from a page

Please see the answered thread above, which explains how Atlassian gather interest.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence: Where work and wellness meet

Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of work and life? With a 25% increase in the prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide during the pandemic, for most of us, it’s a resounding yes . 🙋‍♀️ ...

782 views 5 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you