Is their any confluence feature to add word doc file with embedded excel sheet?

Krupal Jawanjal September 7, 2022

I want to add word document, in which excel sheet is embedded.

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2022

Hi @Krupal Jawanjal

When you embed your excel sheet in your word document, are you embedding it or linking it. You can read a little bit about the difference in this document by expanding the "An introduction to linked and embedded objects" section. The article mentions that when you embed objects are stored within the parent document, while linked objects are referenced by the parent object.

As Andy has mentioned, a linked object will not work because the second document isn't on the same file system, even if you also upload it to the same Confluence document.

It's possible that an embedded object might work, however I'm merely speculating here as a) I don't have access to an Office licence to test it myself, and b) I don't work on Confluence and as such don't have an intimate knowledge of it's workings.

If you're unable to make this work with an embedded object in your word document, then I suspect that it's unfortunately not possible within Confluence.

Cheers,

Daniel

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

@Krupal Jawanjal when you Embed an Excel Sheet into a Word document the Excel sheet becomes a reference inside the document. The system you are opening the Word Document from would need access to the file system where the Excel document is saved. Since you are moving the Word Document to cloud storage, Confluence will not be able to access and open the embedded Word document.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

@Krupal Jawanjal was my answer sufficient to address the issue? If so, please kindly mark it as accepted so that others looking for similar content/issues can more easily find it. Thank you!

Krupal Jawanjal September 9, 2022

@Andy Gladstone I have uploaded the excel file under attachments section of confluence page, but still not worked!

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2022

@Krupal Jawanjal that approach won't work. Since the file embedded has only been copied to Confluence and is not the actual file you embedded (which is most likely on your local computer or file server) you won't be able to access the file.

0 votes
Krupal Jawanjal September 11, 2022

@Rafael Meira@Daniel Capizzi can you please help me in this issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events