Is it possible for our users to have a synchronized backup of our Confluence site?

Rhyne Armstrong August 11, 2011

We need to make it possible for all of our users to be able to access the information in our KnowledgeBase at all times, even when traveling. We currently use Exchange Public Folders and these are synchronized automatically. Is there any extention, plugin, or anything that would allow this with confluence?

We are willing to put in the work to have the synch happen through IT policies when the user logs into the domain.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Betsy Walker
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2011

Have you heard of Appfire's Firestarter portable Wiki appliance that allows you to, basically, have your Wiki on a stick (i.e. USB drive) so that users can work with it offline and then sync to the mother ship when back in the office? I saw it a t last year's Summit and it looked very cool.

Damian Knight August 16, 2011

I was interested in the Firestarter product, until their VP of sales told me there was a minimum order of 50!

Rhyne Armstrong September 7, 2011

This looks to be the best solution if we go with Confluence. We have at least 50 people who would/could use this in our company.

0 votes
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2011

You could probably use the Comalatech Content Publishing Plugin.

0 votes
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2011

Another pattern I've heard customers do from speaking to them is that sometimes all their users want is a copy of a page every so often. So what some customers do is setup a cron job that does a PDF export (using the Confluence Command Line Interface) and emails a group of users on a recurring period.

0 votes
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2011

I'll go ahead and plug Brenden's plugin here:

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/19471

Richard Yale
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2011

It doesn't look like this is 3.5.X supported. There are a lot of differences between 3.4 and 3.5

0 votes
Richard Yale
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2011

I'm guessing you are talking about offline access to the information? Because otherwise as long as they can connect to your Confluence site the information will always be current.

For Offline Access:

The issue is that Confluence runs off a database back-end which means that in order for your clients(?)/workers to see the information they have to be connected to the database.

You may be able to use the internal HSQL database that is used for non-commercial applications and keep that in sync every time they connect to your servers. This however means that however big your Confluence instance is their laptops will need to have that much extra space to be able to store all of the information and keep getting newer information. This means you'll need to have large harddrive space if you have lots of attachments.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events