Is Confluence server being phased out?

Shenice Parkyn October 19, 2020

Is Confluence server being phased out? We are currently on the Cloud version and heard that Atlassian is eliminating the server. The cloud version has so many limits in structuring etc. ... Especially, when it comes to things like using it with add-ons like Viewport to create a helpsite. 

We had thought of getting the Starter License for Confluence Server, but then I ran across the news this Friday about server being taken out of service :(.

Any general advice on what to do? Any thoughts on the cloud version of Viewport or the Refined site generate tool.

Thanks

4 answers

2 votes
ReneRobinson October 23, 2020

Well this sucks. I use Atlassian at work and at home. I was the one that introduced it into a Fortune 50 company...

I'm starting a search to find a replacement for BitBucket and Confluence. I really like Confluence but I can't afford it.

Quite frankly, I don't think I will recommend Atlassian products any more.

2 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 19, 2020

@Shenice Parkyn

I'm with the team that makes Scroll Viewport. It's true, Confluence Server is looking at end of life, so I would hate for your team to get started there only to have to migrate to Cloud or Datacenter in the future.

While Scroll Viewport works on both, I was wondering what content structuring issues you've been seeing on Cloud? We're working to make Scroll Viewport Cloud a great experience, and I'd love your feedback.

Also, I know we're all working with some limitations in the new Cloud Editor, so I'd love to know if you're experiencing issues here as well.

0 votes
Diego Agulló October 19, 2020

Yes, Confluence Server is being phased out. According to the Journey to cloud site:

Which products do the end of sale and support apply to?

The end of sale and support apply to:

• Jira Software Server
  • Jira Core Server
  • Jira Service Desk Server
  • Confluence Server
  • Bitbucket Server
  • Crowd Server
  • Bamboo Server
  • Atlassian-built apps*
  • Atlassian Marketplace Partner server apps*

My advice is just to wait and see... you have a few years time to prepare. Maybe when the time comes, those plugins or some alternatives are functional  for Cloud.

0 votes
Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2020

Hi @Shenice Parkyn

Unfortunately yes, Confluence Server will also be phased out.

Your only 2 options would be switching to Cloud or upgrading to Data Center.

So if you would like to keep Refined Theming on your Confluence instance, you would need to fork out some funds and upgrade to Data Centre. 

I am currently experiencing the same situation. You cannot simply compare Confluence Cloud with self-hosted....

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events