In Confluence, I can select tasks assigned to other users?

Rab Tait March 6, 2018

I want to use Confluence Tasks for approvals. However, when I test this on published pages, I can select (mark as Done) tasks that are not assigned to me. This seems odd?

1 answer

0 votes
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2018

Hi @Rab Tait

Tasks in Confluence are very simple, you can't restrict the checkboxes.

Have a look at the Documentation: Add, Assign, and View Tasks

Depending on your approval process think about using an add-on: Confluence apps

Rab Tait March 6, 2018

Thanks @Niklas Becker. I've read that and to me, when it says you assign a task using the at symbol, I assumed that only the assigned user should be able to interact with that checkbox. If anyone can select or clear the checkboxes, then their value is limited unless I, as an administrator, want to check that every selection has actually been done by the assigned user.

The topic would be more accurate if it said that you can "notify" not "assign", or even add a note explaining the limitation on this.

But thanks, I'll look at add ons for a solution to my approval requirements (I'm developing a ISO 9001 QMS in Confluence and am looking for a simple means of approving processes that is not open to abuse and will stand up to audit). We may just have to do the approvals in Comments at the bottom of pages.

Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2018

Good luck! This sounds like an interesting project. :)

No, sadly "assigned tasks" only mean that the assigned user finds this task in a personal list and gets notified. But everyone with write permission to the page can still finish the checkbox...

Rab Tait March 6, 2018

Thanks Confluence seems well suited to a QMS. At least Process pages in the QMS will only be editable by those people who need to approve the Process, so I would have a small number of 'suspects' for each should I suspect foul play. Plus rigorous change control is also being established through 'watches' on these pages.

Most users will be view only, as would auditors, and I could always hope that they are not Confluence experts so would be unaware of this risk :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events