Importing Confluence backup from an older version

DAI
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 23, 2017

Hi,

we are about to migrate Confluence to another server. The two servers have different versions (see below). Should we expect some difficulties with importing a Confluence backup which was exported from an older version? Should we update Confluence on the old server first?  What would be your migration strategy in this case?

Confluence version old server: 5.8.14

Confluence version new server: 6.1.2

Thank you very much!

Greetings

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2017

Hi,

do you want to export single spaces and import them to the newer version or do you want to move the whole installation to a new hardware server and keep all the settings from the old server and overwrite therefore all the settings in the new one?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2017

If you want to move the whole server and overwrite all the settings from the newer one, look at this page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-confluence-between-servers-184150.html

If you just want to export and import spaces, you can check, if it is possible to import the older space. This is described here: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/restoring-a-space-152036.html

DAI
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 23, 2017

Hi Thomas, thank you for replying.

Which settings do you mean, exactly? Can you give an example?

we set up a completely new installation (with a new license) on new hardware and now want to move all our content to this new installation.

Thank you

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2017

Ok, then I would try exporting and importing spaces, have a look at the second page, I linked to.

Since both versions are quite close, there's a good chance that you can import your spaces into the new server.

Good Luck!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events