Import Confluence Cloud Backup

Mutavi_Solutions_GmbH March 2, 2020

Dear Sir or Madam,

how can a Confluence Cloud Backup be imported?

The backup was created using the backup manager.

Unfortunately the help pages that are linked in Confluence did not solve my problem and the option to import a confluence space is not working.

This page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/migrate-a-confluence-cloud-site-to-an-existing-cloud-site-959303219.html

states that I have to use the option "Site import", but I'm not able to find that option since Confluence is shown in German. I've switched the browser language to English and the Confluence settings, but even after loggin out and back in, it shows the menu in German.

Is the page "Importiere Bereich" the same as "Site import"? Because "Importiere Bereich" is not working with my backup file.

Kind regards,

Cornelia

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2020

Hello Cornelia,

Thank you for contacting us about this! Happy to help.

Can you confirm with me, are you trying to import an entire site backup, or just a space backup?

If you created the backup using the backup manager, then you can use this to migrate between Cloud sites that contain only Confluence

If your site contains Jira as well, then you will need to import the spaces one at a time using a backup of each space. You will also not see the option to import a site because of this.

According to the article you shared, Migrate a Confluence Cloud site to an existing cloud site:

This page is for people who are currently using Confluence Cloud, and want to move their entire site to a different Confluence Cloud site. 

When to use this method

• When you want to move from an existing Confluence Cloud site to another Confluence Cloud site.
  • When your new cloud site is Confluence-only. If you have both Confluence and Jira in your cloud site, the site import method outlined here will not be available in your Confluence Cloud site. Instead, you'll need to import all of your spaces individually. See Import a Confluence Space for information on how to do that. 

Let me know if you have any questions about that, and if you're still having any issues, let me know!

Shannon

Cornelia Mühlich March 4, 2020

Hello Shannon,

thank you for your response. It's an entire site backup, because I was not able to find out how to back up only a space.

We use Jira and Confluence, but (as far as I know) the Confluence spaces are not linked to Jira boards. How can I check this? Is there something in the backup .xml-file I can check?

We've created Jira boards and later, we created the Confluence spaces independently.

Or is a cloud site automatically NOT Confluence-only if you use Jira and Confluence?

I don't get what "having Confluence and Jira in your cloud site" means.

Kind regards,

Cornelia

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2020

Hello Cornelia,

Thank you for confirming that. 

So what I mean by having Jira and Confluence together, is if your Cloud site has both license applied to it. It doesn't matter if the spaces are linked to Jira boards, but if you have Jira at all on the same site as your Confluence, then it's not possible to do a full site restore.

So you have it right, your Cloud site is not automatically Confluence-only if you use Jira and Confluence from the same Cloud URL (e.g. your-site-name.atlassian.net)

You can find the instructions for a space export and import from the same article you linked, in the link that I quoted earlier:

Have a look at that, and let me know if you have any trouble creating a new backup.

Regards,

Shannon

Cornelia Mühlich March 5, 2020

Thank you Shannon,

now, everything is clear and I know what to do (:

Kind regards,

Cornelia

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2020

Happy to hear, Cornelia!

I'm here if you need any further assistance. :) 

Take care,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events