I want to sort a table but the sort icons are missing. How do I correct?

Frank_Spafford November 10, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Working with Tables

How do I get the sort icons to appear?

Are there certain conditions that prevent a table from being sorted?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2016

They appear when you hover the mouse cursor over the column headers.

Frank_Spafford November 10, 2016

I have the sort working now. The top row had not been marked as a table header, but the text was bold, making this easy to miss.

Will Mayo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 4, 2019

That didnt fix it for me.  Other tables sort when the header is enabled, however, one table does not.  I tried saving without header enabled, then saving, then enabling header again.  Still no luck. 

Tried on Chrome and Firefox

Like Marten Oswald likes this
0 votes
James Whitby November 15, 2017

I've seen a number of threads reporting problems with table sorting, but none of them has helped. I have a similar problem - when I create tables they are NOT sortable, and toggling the header row options doesn't help. What is particularly odd is that this used to work (until early 2016). This occurs for brand new tables made using the menu item to insert a table - no excel imports or merged cells. The documentation states simply that tables are sortable - but mine aren't...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

James Whitby January 16, 2018

This seems likely to be due to a change in the behaviour of the browser I usually use (Safari). Works fine under macOS 10.13.2 with Opera, but not Safari.

Michael Rudolph March 20, 2018

In my experience any table containing merged cells is not sortable.

I have opened a feature request for confluence server to make tables with merged cells sortable. If you are interested in this feature to be implemented, please vote for it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events