How to restore data from Confluence version 2.2.8 to Confluence version 3.5.2

Amey Nevrenkar August 18, 2011

Hi

I am trying to import a space from an older confluence version to new confluence version i.e. 2.2.8 - > 3.5.2

The space contains pages which have attachements.

When I try to import the zip file I get an error -

You can only restore space backups exported from the same major version (e.g. 2.2.x or 2.3.x).

It would be great help if somebody can guide me through this.

1 answer

1 vote
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2011

You need to set up a temporary 2.2.8 instance, restore the data, upgrade (maybe a couple of version steps, check the release notes), export and reimport. There would have been significant schema changes between 2.2 and 5.5, some of which will affect the xml data format.

I would suggest raising a support ticket on this. Atlassian can advise you which versions you will need to pass through.

You can get temporary licences to do this.

Amey Nevrenkar August 18, 2011

Hi Jim

Thanks alot for the answer.

In the interim I found another way to solve the problem.

When we try to import between two major version i.e. 2.2.x - > 5.5.2 its not allowed by Confluence, because for the simple fact that its build number changes.

Thus one needs to just change the build number by going in the exportDescriptor.properties file and changing the build number.

Once we do this import it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2011

I wouldn't rely on that - it could create incompatible data as you're lying about the versions and potentially throwing complete misinformation at a server. If I were to use that, I'd be very worried, unless I tested at least every macro and function that had been used anywhere in the data, with every combination of parameters in use.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events