How to move existing confluence page to new template?

Mohsin Hussain July 14, 2020

I have already a page on the same topic but want to move it onto a new template that my company has created.  I just want to move my all information from the previous page to the new template and how is this possible?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2020

This can't be done - a template is, well, a template.  It's used to create a page.  It's nothing to do with the page once you've used it.  (Imagine you're using a "cookie cutter" to make shapes in food - once you've shaped the food, does it change shape because you buy a new cookie cutter, or drop the existing one and bend it?  No)

Oddly though, I'm sitting in a Scriptrunner webinar where they showed us a script that can do a search and replace...

Michaël Lemieux February 10, 2022

This answer could have stopped at this can't be done and it would have been satisfying. The example just reflect how the question and user goal was misunderstood. If I may, I will take you example and explain the use case. You used a round cookie cutter. Then you reshape the dough into a heart. The need here is to create a new cookie cutter to fit the new dough shape. It's unfortunate that this could not be done, since it would be simple to just clean up the text content of a page to leave only the containers and make it a new template. Stil think it would be useful.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2022

No, I think it is important for people to understand why something cannot be done. 

Otherwise, we tend to end up with the same question being asked in a slightly different way, or with some horribly botched attempt at trying to do it.

I don't know why you tried to explain the use case to me here.  And what you've explained is not what the original question was about, so I'm even more confused.  (You've said you want to change the template, the original question was about changing the content of existing pages made with the old template)

Like # people like this
Michaël Lemieux February 11, 2022

Sorry @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  

Your answer was indeed correct. My comment was intented for another question, but it seems that I mixed up the pages. That's why I didn't really understand your point. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2020

I'm afraid you can't. Templates can only be used upon creation of a page. There is no way to "convert" an existing page to the page.

You will have to create your new page with the template and manually copy the page contents to the new page.

Mohsin Hussain July 16, 2020

Thank you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events