How to make particular page public and useful

Dmitry September 8, 2019

I want to make a particular page of particular space to face public internet (anonymous viewing). I figured out how to do this with permissions and all that and it seems to work. But.

I don't like the way it faces public internet.

It faces public internet as Confluence page, which it is, but not exactly. It's my content and I don't want others to see the Confluence tool bars and controls which have nothing to do with what the page is designed to do. There are Add, Search, Login, Help, etc buttons which of course authorized when used but still, why end user needs to see all this? They come to consume some specific content and not to learn Confluence. For example, I'd like Confluence to host the release notes of my product, or a user manual. Plain and simple. Great tools there to build such content! But how do I make it render only that and no other controls around the content dedicated for Confluence works. Am I in a wrong product or do I miss some settings?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2019

@DmitryI understand your problem.

Confluence is primarily a knowledge base management tool, and it provide you with very basic control over look and feel of output site.

You can do basic customization by following these section,

Apart from this I don't think confluence cloud provide more customization.

Dmitry September 8, 2019

Thank you, I understand. Please accept this as a general feedback, perhaps this may affect future plans. In my particular case, some parts of a closed internal corporate knowledge base should be easily available to the outside world and since we already have Confluence I don't see why we would employ another system to achieve just that. For example, if I would build a huge user manual with Confluence and invest all the time building the content, what's the point if users outside the organization can't see it properly. Thank you for your response all the same!

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2019

@DmitryI understand your feedback. I hope Confluence Team is listening to this and try to provide us with better solution.

Duplicating content and synchronizing is a huge problem.

Dmitry September 8, 2019

That I don't quite understand.. The content of my page is just a div (roughly speaking). Why placing it under different container is a huge problem.. It's definitely not a technical problem as far as I can tell.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2019

You are correct about page content, but Confluence also need to provide navigation, search etc and there is  an App ecosystem build around various building blocks that Confluence show around our content.

But I think Confluence Team can provide, more customization in content display of public pages. The Server version have more customization in this direction, probably cloud will also catch up.

Like Dmitry likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events