How to apply "nofollow"or "noindex" tags to selected Confluence pages or spaces?

Merrill Oates
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 15, 2014

We have some spaces on our Confluence instance that need to be publicly accessible to users without a prior login. However, these are only relevant for our specific user community, and we do not want these pages to be picked up and listed by wider search engines.

Is there a way to selectively apply nofollow or noindex tags to a given space or page in Confluence?

1 answer

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2014

Adding them to a given space is easy, you edit the "Main Layout" decorator and add the tags to the <head> HTML block.

For individual pages, I would probably modify the header to use some jQuery or other scripting that conditionally adds those values -- either based on a label or on some value you set on the page.

Remember, adding nofollow/noindex is no guarantee that search engines will not pick up the content. It's all on the honor system, so in this case, not being indexed is not going to protect your contents. If you REALLY don't want pages to be searched/indexed, you should require a login to view them.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events