Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add members to existing team spaces?

Karl Roth January 2, 2014

How do I add members to existing Confluence team spaces?

20 answers

2 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
Claudinho October 20, 2016

This is how I do it:

1. Open the Team's home page for editing
  2. Click on the picture of the last member listed in "The Team" section
  3. Click on the icon "Insert column after" in the editing menu
  4. Click anywhere inside the new column
  5. Enter Ctl+Shift+A (equivalent to "Insert more content"->"Other macros") and search for "profile"
  6. Select "Profile picture".
  7. In the User* field enter the name of the member you want to add and press "Insert". This should copy the member's picture into the column.
  8. Press Enter to position the cursor under the picture
  9. Press Ctl+K (equivalent to "Insert link" icon) and search for the user's name
  10. Insert the link to the user
  11. Paint both the picture and the link to the member and click on the "Align center" icon
  12. As a final touch, you may want to select "Fixed width" instead of "Responsive" on the left side of the 2nd row of the editing menu and adjust all the columns to the desired width.

Kushal Anjanappa October 25, 2016

Brilliant, thank you!

Max Baker August 21, 2017

The control k option with the name links to the user profile instead of the email feature that the other members have. Is there an instruction for how to set the mailto instead of linking to their profile?

Paul Sanchez-Rivét December 14, 2017

Once you're in Control K (step 9 in the above steps), and you've found their user profile (that will display their name), then click on Web link on the left and enter their email address (i.e. mailto:abcd@efg.com) and their Link text should already be filled in with their name. Click save and then use step 11/12 to make everything more aesthetically pleasing.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jauna Werner October 12, 2016

I found a simpler way.  On the parent page, click the three dots next to "share" on the right corner of the page.  Select "restrictions".  This will put you into the same page that you used to select team members when you created the page.

Mike Berman October 13, 2016

That doesn't add team members...it lets you add and remove who can view and edit information on the page.  I want to edit the information seen in the second picture that is circled.  

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

21 votes
Ami Goldenberg March 1, 2015

you gotta be kidding me, Atlassian!!!

So the assumption behind this wonderful brainchild of a team space is that Teams never change; Hence there is no way to add nor to remove team members from a team space?

Joseph Campo October 16, 2018

This is unbelievably poor user interface. Just put an Add Team Member button next to the Team Members and let us get on with our lives. Ridiculous.

Like # people like this
Jeff Small January 9, 2019

Brain dead! How is Atlassian still in business?

Like # people like this
siva.ravella March 24, 2020

lol, really brain dead. Such a pain interface

Tilo Bornemann November 2, 2020

it might even cause problems if you remove or add profile pictures and profile-links in your Team-Layout because initially it gives all members full permissions to the space but changing the layout later does not change those pemissions. 

5 votes
Jeff Leombruno (Pixel) July 1, 2014

The other missing part here is that when you create the team space, the members are automatically signed up as "watchers" of the space. Adding someone manually to the permissions and the table doesn't make them "watch" the space.

gagneet August 23, 2018

You can do that by clicking on the "Watching" link on the top, after you have done the steps given by @Claudinho above.

This will bring up a menu, on which you can add the other users as "Watchers" of the Space. 

4 votes
Helena Sakovich April 2, 2015

I found the way to add a team member on the space introductory page if you forgot to do it upon creation. 

You go to edit mode

"The team" list has columns - you add a column there

Copy any Team member to this empty column

Click on that team member and select "Edit"

Widget pops up and you see "Address" and "Link Text"

Modify this information as for the new member you want to add - Save

Click on the image that belongs to the member. Select "Edit"

Modify the link 

You have a new team member!

Lisa Lohe April 14, 2015

When you say "Copy any Team member to this empty column", I don't know what you mean. Are you doing a copy/paste? Where did you get the team member to copy?

Helena Sakovich April 14, 2015

For example you've added only one team member (Alex) when you initially created a page. Then you decided to add another one. You click 'edit' the page. There is a table 'Team.' This table has one column where Alex sits. You add a column there (for a new team member - John). This column is empty. You copy Alex info to this empty column. Thus, you have 2 identical columns with Alex and his picture. You select Alex's name in the second column and 'Edit.' Widget pops up and you change info accordingly for John. Eventually, you will have both Alex (untouched 1st column) and John (edited 2d column).

Scott Paden June 23, 2015

I tried the above in Confluence Cloud. It appears that there are two macros inserted by the global template. But that is not everything. Am I missing something? The global template does 3 things: * Adds the picture and name of each team member to the home page * Adds the team member names to individual permissions * Adds the team member to the watchers category for the space I don't see a way to do all of those tasks without hammer and tongs. Is there a macro somewhere that I am missing? User Profile doesn't work. Network doesn't work.

3 votes
Wilvin Szeto May 22, 2014

So...there is no other way to add a new or remove a new team member from the Team space? This seems a bit "silly" everytime we need to recreate the team space.. anyone hlep?

Karl Roth May 22, 2014

Wilvin, the members list is actually just a conventional 'table' and the items for each user are 1) the Profile picture macro 2) a mailto link. Therefore it can be easily edited in normal manner.

Shauna Winters March 8, 2016

That's horribly inconvenient 

Adrian Popescu May 4, 2016

It's 2016 and this problem still exists? Woaw

Mike Berman May 26, 2016

They only way I "think" I did that was changing how the Team was displayed - I inserted their profile link and picture under "The Team" in a table.  This isn't the same as what was there when I setup the page but easier than adding a profile picture and a mailto link.  

I then have to do another step and click "Watching" then hit "Manage Watchers" and add the person I wanted.  The wizard when I first setup a page was much easier.  

3 votes
Vitor LC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2014

Hi Karl.

Click the Browse button, select the Confluence Admin (assuming that you have admin privilegies) and on the Users & Security section you have there the option Space Permissions.

From there, you have a list of all spaces available and clicking the Manage Permissions button on one space will give you the list of Groups and Individual Users. Clicking the Edit Permissions button for Individual Users allows you to add and give permissions to new members on that space.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Vitor. Actually this gets me half the way. The rest of the problem concerned the member list on the team space. When I create the team space, a wizard asks me to add members and they appear nicely (picture an everything) on the page. I wanted to add members to this list.

Now I just found out how to do it manually. This list turned out to simply be a one-row table with the Profile picture macro and below the macro a mailto-link.

Karim Chicar January 2, 2014

I came up with the same solution this morning when I added two members.

Amanda Chu April 14, 2014

What if I need to remove a member from the Team Space? Thanks!

Hank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2014

If it's the list on the team space home page, it's just editable content as Karl pointed out. Edit the page and change as you wish.

KC_Baltz October 13, 2014

This doesn't handle adding new folks as Watchers for the Space. This feels like a feature that's half implemented.

Rob Masters April 24, 2015

A simple way to manage teams in team spaces - exactly the same as when creating the space - seems like it should have been one of the fundamental features. I'm baffled as to how this is missing.

Like # people like this
Mike Berman May 26, 2016

I am very glad I am not the only one who found this extremely confusing.  Adding someone manually by adding the profile picture, then creating a link under that picture with a mailto: link doesn't mean they are added to the "team" in the sense that I want - I want them to be alerted that this page is something they should be watching and contributing to.  

They only way I "think" I did that was buy inserting their profile link and picture under "The Team" - which wasn't the same as what was there when I setup the page, but after the team changed I found it the easiest way to put the avatar on there.  I then have to do another step and click "Watching" then hit "Manage Watchers" - there has to be a simply way like the wizard when I first setup a page!

Debbie Lefkowitz September 1, 2016

incredibly lame and confusing.  This tool is so powerful and so frequently not intuitive. sigh...

Charles Teasley December 12, 2017

Not intuitive and everything is an add-on. Otherwise, I like the tool. Maybe they will make an add-on that makes the software intuitive.

2 votes
Amanda Fitch July 18, 2016

I'm not sure how to delete users, but you can add a specific user like this:

1. Open Confluence.
  2. Click Spaces.
  3. Click Space directory.
  4. Click Space Details icon beside to Space to update. information
  5. Click Permissions.
  6. Under Individual Users, click Edit Permissions.
  7. In field under user list, enter users name and click Add.
  8. User is added to space. 

However, it might be better to add a group of users. This way, you can add/remove users from the group instead of assigning specific users directly to a space:

1. Open Confluence.
  2. Click Spaces.
  3. Click Space directory.
  4. Click Space Details icon beside to Space to update. information
  5. Click Permissions.
  6. Under Groups, click Edit Permissions.
  7. In field under user list, enter the group name and click Add.
  8. Group is added to space. 

2 votes
DR July 29, 2015

People have been going around in circles on this for a year and a half, and Atlassian is yet to weigh in.  Unbelievable.  I thought I had done something really cool by implementing team spaces, now I find out all I did was make a big mess if I can't add or change team members without a bunch of gyrations and finagiling.

Bummer.

Casey Crust May 24, 2017

Have you found a new resolution for this issue? I am just now running into this very problem.

Jay Duffy September 13, 2018

Same

2 votes
Nils Bernlo March 19, 2015

Space - Space Administration

Scroll down to:

Individual Users

Click on "Edit Permissions"

Search for the user and click on the "Add button"

2 votes
Matty Ice March 19, 2014

We also tried to figure out how to add the portrait members to a Team Space with no luck. We ended up removing the space, recreating it and adding the members. If more members are added to the team we would have to do this again...

Karl Roth May 22, 2014

Matt, the members list is actually just a conventional 'table'. The items for each user are 1) the Profile picture macro 2) a mailto link.

2 votes

Thanks Vitor. Actually this gets me half the way. The rest of the problem concerned the member list on the team space. When I create the team space, a wizard asks me to add members and they appear nicely (picture an everything) on the page. I wanted to add members to this list.

Now I just found out how to do it manually. This list turned out to simply be a one-row table with the Profile picture macro and below the macro a mailto-link.

1 vote
Angel Clark January 8, 2015

at the upper right of the main space there are options that say "Edit" "Watch" "Share". Once you click on Watch, you will have the option to add a 'watcher.' Ive not found any way (including using permissons) to add someone to the view that shows the team members.

Jeff Leombruno (Pixel) January 8, 2015

@Angel Clark you can not add someone as a watcher of a space. Just a page. It's not the same as when you first create the space.

1 vote
Hank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2014

Along with creating a team space (as well as other types), the space creation wizard serves to set up the space home page for you quickly. It's editable like any other page, so you can go ahead and edit the page and add or remove team members from the list manually.

0 votes
iamkelsishayla March 31, 2020

I cant believe this still isn't an option, more burden for admins as teams cant figure out how to do it themselves - or has this feature been added now??

Brent Christensen May 21, 2020

I'm trying to figure out how to do it, and ended up here, so I'm assuming the answer is "no".  :-)

Johan Van der Borght May 6, 2021

Even one year later, it is still a pain in the ass. How hard can it be to get an 'Add Member' or 'Remove Member' (or eventually 'Disable Member') button added?

All functionality doesn't seem to be added automatically when you work as described above, so you have to these put in by hand one by one. Make sure you don't forget any!

0 votes
RaeRo October 3, 2018

Please vote/contribute to this ticket if you are a Cloud user and want this feature: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-45008

0 votes
Bob MacWilliams April 6, 2018

If I was assessing this tool, this would make me look at other options. Atlassian, it's absurd that you haven't addressed this basic issue.

Bob MacWilliams April 6, 2018

By the way, I just deleted all the pre-fab content on the space's home page.  I don't think it has any internal function - it's just display. You can add your own list or table or whatever, and add team "members". The permissions and watching are what really matter, and they can be modified elsewhere.

0 votes
knichols August 10, 2017

I am thinking of purchasing this, but it looks like this Team functionality, something that was important for us, does not really work.  You have to manually add link and photo to add people to page?  Why can't they be automatically added to the page when given permission?

0 votes
owenboyle August 3, 2017

It is absurd that this is so difficult..

..therefore, we must be using it wrong.

So, what is the correct way to manage teams?

0 votes
nodejsgurj1 April 25, 2017
@CircleCIstatus
@hipchatstatus
@slackhq
@atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events