How does the Glossary Plugin work with the Confluence search?

Paul Kruse April 27, 2015

I'm wondering why I can't find any of the terms in my glossary through a full-text search.

The main reason why I want to know that is, because I want to make the glossary items available in a connected SharePoint platform (using the Search Connector Add-on). But, if even Confluence doesn't find the terms in the first place, SharePoint (or the Search Connector) will not be able to do so as well.

How can I make sure, that the glossary items, i.e. the content of the specific macros that contain those items, are searchable?

best regards,

Paul

6 answers

0 votes
Riaz Khanmohamed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 7, 2019

bump - I don't understand why the 'search term' box  only allows you to search name of the glossary entry and not also search its abbreviations, seems like a shortfall personally. I'd rather not make one glossary entry for every abbreviation (the only way to get the glossary to work properly today) forcing users to create duplicate entries. 

that said, i believe this might be because this component isn't designed to be a searchable glossary, but be a cross confluence lookup from other pages. however, i think it's naive to think that's the only use case your users are going to use a glossary for.

0 votes
Tommer May 10, 2019

any answers?

0 votes
Paul Kruse May 8, 2015

@Anis Othman [Spectrum Groupe] Can you provide any details on the search integration of glossary items? Best regards, Paul

0 votes
Paul Kruse May 3, 2015

Hi Guilherme,

thank you for your reply. I think I didn't make myself clear enough...

Let me try to explain the sitiuation again: I have a list of several (dummy) entries in my glossary. For letter 'a' I added random abbreviations, e.g.  ABK, ABC, ACE, and so on. Every abbreviation or akronym has a description of its meaning also added using the glossary term macro (or the add term function in the glossary view). When I now use the basic Confluence Search, I cannot find any of these abbreviations/akronyms unless it is mentioned in the description.

What I want to know is, why I don't find the terms using the full-text search and how I can convince Confluence (or the Glossary Add-on) to show them in my search results.

regards,

Paul

0 votes
Guilherme Nedel [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2015
0 votes
Guilherme Nedel [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2015

Hello Paul, I believe you already been through the plugin docs where it reads that items should be inserted through the plugin interface. Now would it be possible to give a example with actual words, so anyone that attends to this thread can reproduce?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events