How do I set a panel heights to the column height?

Annie December 26, 2018

I have a 3-column page layout set up right now with a panel in each column. Each panel has a different amount of content, though, so they're all different heights.

Is there any way (via custom css or javascript or any other way) to have all the panels dynamically have the same height as the tallest panel?

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2018

Hello there Annie!
Currently, this is only achievable with third party-tools or custom css sheets. There is a feature request for Confluence Cloud that points at this:

CONFCLOUD-56021

What you could do is try Content Formatting for Confluence (a third-party add-on):

Content Formatting for Confluence - Atlassian Marketplace

The approach is this:

1- Create your page
2- Add the three section in your page
3- Add one DIV macro in each column (The DIV macro is bundled with Content Formatting for Confluence)
4- Insert the panel macro inside each DIV macro
5- Set the size for each DIV

Keep in mind that Content Formatting for Confluence is a paid add-on with a free trial time.
Let us know your thoughts on this!

Michael Bulger September 7, 2022

Searching for a solution to this in 2022.  And this answer, "just buy a plugin", is the number one reason I look forward to dropping Atlassian products. 

Mike C July 19, 2023

And I came here in 2023, 5 years after this question was raised and STILL the answer is buy a third party tool. The answer ALWAYS seems to be to buy a third party tool. Just think about this, the object is called a panel, what are users adding a panel for? To control the layout. But you can't even control its size. This is absolutely pathetic. I work for a large corporation so installing a third party tool is extremely difficult even if it's free. It will require security sign off which is a little mini project. I hate to think how much we pay Atlassian and this is what we get.

Like Shantharam likes this
Mike C July 19, 2023

Looking at the linked ticket, the ticket was created 6 years ago. In all that time the ticket has absolutely zero comments from staff and has been left unassigned all that time. It's not like the company lacks resources. Overall our confluence pages look like rubbish because the most basic of basic tools to make them look even slightly better just don't exist. It's simply not possible to put a box on the screen and set its size. How??

Mike C July 19, 2023

I did find a partial solution, you can use the bootstrap panel macro. You need to know basic CSS and I had to troll through the HTML code of the page to work out what it's doing underneath. This defeats the purpose to some degree of using a GUI to edit your page. In my case I had white text on a dark background so when in the editor you can't see the text at all. Basically it was far from an ideal solution just to get around something that should be standard.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events