How do I render two-letter code blocks?

Julius.Simonelli June 2, 2019

I am writing code blocks and I have found that the text doesn't actually display when I have a code block with only two characters. So if I'm trying to write the characters ab, I can create a code block and any of the following will work: _ab, "ab", abc, but I cannot do just ab. How do I do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2019

Hello Julius,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to meet you!

We have experienced this issue in the past with the former editor, and it was reported as a bug:

• CONFCLOUD-61941 Code Block macro not showing its content if it has only two chars

As we are currently rolling out a new editor, the issue was closed. The new editor is not affected by this bug.

I'm testing it myself on both the old editor and new, and I can confirm the issue exists only on the older editor.

If you'd like to test this on the new editor yourself, you can create a new page using the new editor by clicking + and select Try the new editing experience.

If it does work for you, then you will want to use the new editing experience for any pages that will need the codeblock macro for sections of code that are 2 characters or smaller. 

Note that the new editing experience will eventually be rolled out to your entire instance, but if you want to see if it's possible for the change to be applied now to your full instance, please contact our support team at support.atlassian.com/contact and they can help you with that.

I hope that helps! Do let me know if you have any questions or trouble with that.

Regards,

Shannon

Julius.Simonelli June 4, 2019

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your response. Is it possible to switch to the new editor in an existing page, instead of starting a new page? That way links are not broken, likes are not lost, etc.

Thanks,

Julius

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2019

Julius,

Thank you for following up. It is not possible to switch an individual page to the new editor in Confluence Cloud. You'll need to recreate the page and copy and paste the content into the new page.

If you have trouble, you might want to try the Source Editor for Confluence Cloud. This app will allow you to copy and paste the source code directly. I still experienced some formatting issues even after doing this, so you will want to modify the page to look better in the new editor after you do that.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Julius.Simonelli June 5, 2019

OK. I created a new page with the new editing experience and it seems to work. Thanks for all your help.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2019

Julius,

Thank you for confirming that. Happy to help!

Take care, and have a pleasant rest of your week.

Regards,

Shannon

MS
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 3, 2021

This new editor, did that option make it to the self-hosted version of confluence we bought and installed early last month? Because I'm still seeing this problem.

>If you'd like to test this on the new editor yourself, you can create a new page using the new editor by clicking + and select Try the new editing experience.

I can't readily find this option. Is this something I can install somehow?

ps. out of curiosity - how? 1 character works fine, 3+ characters show up, just not 2?

James Knight
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 24, 2021

This issue provides more information on the issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-61941

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events