How do I paste images directly into a Confluence page?

Kevin Diggett July 12, 2011

My company is considering implementing a Wiki and confluence seems to have a lot of good features. However, there is 1 very important feature that trumps all else and I can’t seem to find any support for it in Confluence. That feature is the ability to paste images directly to a wiki page, without uploading a saved file or using a URL. Is there any add-ons or direct support for this in Confluence Wiki?

6 answers

4 votes
Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2011

I am not aware of any plugins for current Confluence versions (<=3.5).

However Confluence 4 does/will allow exactly what you are asking for. Read more: http://blogs.atlassian.com/confluence/2011/07/paste-images-drag-tables-confluence-public-eap-2.html</p<>>

Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2011

Confluence 4 makes a big change from wiki markup plain text to a html 5 page. This eliminates wiki style editing from Confluence - where you edit the wiki markup then save to display. The editing process will be easier, especially for new users, with edit functions available a via command icons and pick lists. The old wiki style entry is maintained as keyboard shortcuts for the new interface.

See (eg) JIRA Product Demonstration v2

1 vote
Matt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2011

Stefan is correct - the ability to paste images from your clipboard directly into the editor is currently scheduled for release with Confluence 4.0 (as long as no no critical bugs pop up).

Note that since this feature relies on HTML5 it is currently only supported in Chrome and Firefox since Internet Explorer does not yet support the required HTML5 component.

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2011

Yes. My answer was going to be wait for Confluence 4.

0 votes
Greg Gilchrist July 22, 2011

Open the page up in Word and paste it there.

0 votes
Greg Gilchrist July 22, 2011

On the "Tools" menu click "Edit in Word", and the page will open in Word. Paste the image in, save the Word doc, then refresh the page. The image will be there. You can go back to the Word doc to resize the image if need be.

The first time you go to open a page in Word you will be prompted to download a plugin.

Matt Gutensohn July 19, 2019

Thank you!  I know this is from 8 years ago, but I did a technical reference guide in a Word format I really like and needed to put it into Confluence, copy/paste didn't work for all the screen shots.  This was exactly what I needed.  Just had to delete the image that was on my cover page and everything else fell into place and look good.

Dustin Nulf January 14, 2020

@Matt Gutensohn Which version of Confluence are you using, Matt? Cloud? Server? I don't see a "Tools" menu, and therefore no "Edit in Word" option.

Matt Gutensohn January 14, 2020

@Dustin Nulf  We migrated to cloud at the end of 2019 and looks like the "Edit in Word" option is gone.  If I find a way on the next reference guide I upload I'll reply here.  

Like Dustin Nulf likes this
Matt Gutensohn February 5, 2020

@Dustin Nulf  I think I got it, going to test with new document I'm working on, but didn't want to forget to post here.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/import-a-word-document-into-confluence-170493136.html

View the document, not in Edit and then hit the three dots and it's there.  

2020-02-05_14-16-15.png

Like Dustin Nulf likes this
Dustin Nulf February 13, 2020

Great, thanks, @Matt Gutensohn !

subbul June 24, 2020

thanks this helps :), btw this request is open for 9 long years

David Babuder October 16, 2020

Anyone have ideas on what makes an embedded graphic in the word document more or less likely to work?

I created a word document with 3 embedded graphics copied from Snagit.

Import failed.

Removed the graphics, import worked.

(random guesses from here on)

Saved the graphics in Snagit as JPGs, replaced the images in word with the the JPGs, Import failed.  Resized to insure the image fit inside the margin, Import failed.

Saved the graphics in Snagit as PNGs, started with the word document that imported,, and replaced the images in word with the the PNGs, re-sized to insure images we inside the margins, Import failed. 

I had imported documents a few weeks ago that had images and they worked!

Arrgghhh. This is so easy in other tools.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2011

Have you tried a plugin? We have a long standing requests from users for this and we were going to try Snipe

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/28446

It depends how far away 4.0 is & how long we take internally to do an upgrade.

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2011

This should work out of the box, even on 3.x. Although, 3.5 is your best bet (it's HTML 5, as opposed to Google Gears). Here's the documentation - Using Drag and Drop in Confluence.

Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2011

I think he is asking for pasting not drag and drop.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events