How do I paste images directly into a Confluence page?

My company is considering implementing a Wiki and confluence seems to have a lot of good features. However, there is 1 very important feature that trumps all else and I can’t seem to find any support for it in Confluence. That feature is the ability to paste images directly to a wiki page, without uploading a saved file or using a URL. Is there any add-ons or direct support for this in Confluence Wiki?

6 answers

I am not aware of any plugins for current Confluence versions (<=3.5).

However Confluence 4 does/will allow exactly what you are asking for. Read more: http://blogs.atlassian.com/confluence/2011/07/paste-images-drag-tables-confluence-public-eap-2.html</p<>>

Confluence 4 makes a big change from wiki markup plain text to a html 5 page. This eliminates wiki style editing from Confluence - where you edit the wiki markup then save to display. The editing process will be easier, especially for new users, with edit functions available a via command icons and pick lists. The old wiki style entry is maintained as keyboard shortcuts for the new interface.

See (eg) JIRA Product Demonstration v2

Stefan is correct - the ability to paste images from your clipboard directly into the editor is currently scheduled for release with Confluence 4.0 (as long as no no critical bugs pop up).

Note that since this feature relies on HTML5 it is currently only supported in Chrome and Firefox since Internet Explorer does not yet support the required HTML5 component.

David Simpson Community Champion Jul 13, 2011

Yes. My answer was going to be wait for Confluence 4.

0 vote

This should work out of the box, even on 3.x. Although, 3.5 is your best bet (it's HTML 5, as opposed to Google Gears). Here's the documentation - Using Drag and Drop in Confluence.

I think he is asking for pasting not drag and drop.

Have you tried a plugin? We have a long standing requests from users for this and we were going to try Snipe

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/28446

It depends how far away 4.0 is & how long we take internally to do an upgrade.

On the "Tools" menu click "Edit in Word", and the page will open in Word. Paste the image in, save the Word doc, then refresh the page. The image will be there. You can go back to the Word doc to resize the image if need be.

The first time you go to open a page in Word you will be prompted to download a plugin.

Open the page up in Word and paste it there.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

77 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you