How do I create an admin group that does NOT have visibility to all content/pages?

KP May 3, 2018

In Confluence version 4.0 (maybe later), there were three levels for Confluence admins, including a group that had limited visibility to content.

On Confluence server v 6.2.3, there's only the confluence-administrator group, which can see everything, even if pages are restricted. I experimented with adding/removing the Confluence Administrator and System Administrator permissions, but the person testing for me could still read all hidden content.

I want to create a new admin group that has some global privileges (create templates, move, delete, restore pages, etc) but does NOT have access to all pages. If a page is view restricted, I don't want that admin user to be able to see it. 

Is this possible? I could not find anything in the 6.2 docs or on the Confluence config pages. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2018

Hi,

Please see Global Permissions Overview, it mentions you can create a new group, and grant that group the Confluence administrator and system administrator global permissions without granting the "super-group" status of the default confluence-administrators group:

Granting a user the system administrator and Confluence administrator global permissions does not allow that user to automatically see all spaces in your site, or see restricted pages. These permissions only give access to administration tools. Be aware, however, that users with system administrator global permission could add themselves to the confluence-administrators group.

You can't change the global permissions granted to the confluence-administrators group. If you don't want your admins to be able to see all spaces and restricted pages, you can create a new group, and grant that group the Confluence administrator and system administrator global permissions.

Thanks,

Ann

0 votes
KP May 3, 2018

Thanks, Ann, that was exactly what I needed.

-K

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events